Announcing the second Anilao Underwater Photo Festival
Video: Parrotfish life cycle
short animated video made by the University of Queensland explaining the life cycle of the rainbow parrot fish (Scarus guacamaia) has been posted on YouTube by Catlin Seaview Survey. For those of us wondering what is the difference between initial and terminal phase or what polychromatism is, this is an excellent tutorial!
Update: Nju Nikonos Conversion System
Owner Andrej Belic provides an update for his Nju conversion process that allows Nikonos RS lenses to be used with Nikon digital SLR cameras and conventional housings. He currently offers support for Nikonos 13mm, 28mm, 20-35mm, and 50mm lenses in a wide variety of housings.
INON announces compatibility updates and fiber optic connector
Sony offers Pro Support to photographers
Sony has announced that it will offer a support package for professional photographers using Sony products. The benefits of the scheme include dedicated phone/email support, 3 day repair turnaround time with product loan options, free camera and/or lens maintenance, invitation to special events, in and outbound shipping costs and evaluation loaners.
Shark Angels 2015 calendar available
Article shows hope for coral reefs
The BBC Earth section has posted an extended article about coral regeneration after bleaching events. Entitled ” The corals that came back from the dead”, the article talks about the “Phoenix Effect” which was first described in 1992 by David Krupp. It describes a process whereby corals can regrow from a small fragment of life after a sea temperature rise. Up until now, this has been observed only in disk corals, but the articles cites Peter Mumby’s experience with Porites sp corals in Rangiroa lagoon, French Polynesia.
INON unveils LF1100-W LED light
Inon has announced the LF1100-W LED light. The new light is the first wide version in the LF series with a maximum output of 1100 lumens and an angle of 85 degrees. The light uses 3 AA batteries. The light is native 5000K and can also be used as a dive light with its low mode setting.
- Vancouver aquarium releases seal pups back into the wild (via )
- Monk seal bites triathletes in Hawaii (via )
- Shutdown threatens oceanographic research (via )
- Nikon D610 officially announced (via )
- Montserrat: An island abandoned and reclaimed by nature (via )
- Sponges allow corals to thrive in marine deserts (via BBC)
- New free Lightroom Quick Start guide available to download (via )
- Sixty new species discovered in Suriname (via )
- National Geographic photography issue (via )
- Dolphin deaths on east coast and morbiliivirus (via )