Video: UW Photographer swatted by Humpback
Underwater photographer Chris Coates got a little too close for comfort with a Humpback whale and her calf while filming off the east coast of Africa. Fortunately neither party was injured from the quick encounter. Image from Shutterstock.
The Blennywatcher Diary: October 2013
Ned and Anna DeLoach continues their monthly column with a description of how it took Ned over four hours to capture an image of a Shorthead Blenny, (Emblemariopsis bottomei) peering backwards with its rotating eyeballs. Also featured are blenny hunting in Bonaire and some what happen when you combine a face, a projector and images of marine creatures…
Video: Shawn Heinrichs at TEDx
Wetpixel Senior Moderator Shawn Heinrichs has presented a talk at TEDxBoulder, entitled “Art Inspiring Action to Protect our Oceans.”
Video: Nudibranchs and Sea slugs of Guam part three
Shane Siers presents part 3 of his guide to the nudibranchs and sea slugs of Guam which features more randomly selected video clips of the diversity of Guam’s marine life.
Second oarfish washes ashore
A second Oarfish in less than a week has washed ashore in southern California, prompting scientists and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association to take notice. The longest bony fish in the sea are rare to see in shallow water as they typically remain at a depth of 3,000 feet. Image from Shutterstock.
NHM Wildlife Photographer of the Year Awards
Last night the winners of the Natural History Museum’s Wildlife Photographer of the Year were announced at an impressive awards ceremony in the museum. Wetpixel has some exclusive images from the event. Congratulations to all the honorees.
Sony releases the a7 and a7R cameras
Early this morning Sony released two new mirrorless full-frame sensor cameras with interchangeable lenses, the a7 and a7R. These are by far the smallest and lightest full frame interchangeable lensed cameras on the market (think Olympus OM-D EM-1) and boast a 24 and 36 megapixel sensor, respectively.
New accessories at DEMA from UW Fotopartner
- DIVE magazine May issue now available (via )
- Over 3,000 jellyfish on display in China (via BBC)
- Citizen scientists catalog North Sea life (via BBC)
- Report finds that 85% of reefs in the coral triangle under threat (via )
- Happy World Penguin Day! (via )
- Fstoppers publishes “Creating a Successful Photography… (via )
- Issue 54 of X-Ray Magazine is available to download (via )
- New Caledonia creates shark sanctuary (via )
- Canon EOS is the number one interchangeable lens seller worldwide (via )
- Apple updates raw compatibility (via )