Call for entries: Beneath the Sea 2014
Beneath the Sea is calling for entries for its 2014 international underwater imaging contest. Competition categories include: General/Marine Life, Green/Cold Water, Macro/Close-up, Underwater Behavior, Conservation, Novice and Creative and the deadline for entries is 31 December 2013.
The making of an image: Night Moves by Alex Mustard
Betrayal: New video by Blue Sphere Media
Shawn Heinrichs and Hannah Fraser have released a new short film titled Betrayal. The story line of the film centers on a betrayed woman (Fraser) who has given up and plunges into the sea. She is met by a humpback whale calf who swims with her and ultimately restores her hope and faith.
Video: UW Photographer swatted by Humpback
Underwater photographer Chris Coates got a little too close for comfort with a Humpback whale and her calf while filming off the east coast of Africa. Fortunately neither party was injured from the quick encounter. Image from Shutterstock.
The Blennywatcher Diary: October 2013
Ned and Anna DeLoach continues their monthly column with a description of how it took Ned over four hours to capture an image of a Shorthead Blenny, (Emblemariopsis bottomei) peering backwards with its rotating eyeballs. Also featured are blenny hunting in Bonaire and some what happen when you combine a face, a projector and images of marine creatures…
Video: Shawn Heinrichs at TEDx
Wetpixel Senior Moderator Shawn Heinrichs has presented a talk at TEDxBoulder, entitled “Art Inspiring Action to Protect our Oceans.”
Video: Nudibranchs and Sea slugs of Guam part three
Shane Siers presents part 3 of his guide to the nudibranchs and sea slugs of Guam which features more randomly selected video clips of the diversity of Guam’s marine life.
Second oarfish washes ashore
A second Oarfish in less than a week has washed ashore in southern California, prompting scientists and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association to take notice. The longest bony fish in the sea are rare to see in shallow water as they typically remain at a depth of 3,000 feet. Image from Shutterstock.
- Citizen scientists catalog North Sea life (via BBC)
- Report finds that 85% of reefs in the coral triangle under threat (via )
- Happy World Penguin Day! (via )
- Fstoppers publishes “Creating a Successful Photography… (via )
- Issue 54 of X-Ray Magazine is available to download (via )
- New Caledonia creates shark sanctuary (via )
- Canon EOS is the number one interchangeable lens seller worldwide (via )
- Apple updates raw compatibility (via )
- Brian Lam joins a shark tagging expedition (via )
- Rehab of the GOM ongoing almost 3 years post Deepwater Horizon (via )