Live updates: Wetpixel Bahama Shark Expedition
Wetpixel is currently in the Bahamas diving with greater hammerhead sharks (Sphyrna mokarran) and tiger sharks (Galeocerdo cuvier) with Epic Diving’s. Internet connection depending (!) we will be adding updates here as the trip progresses. The Bahamas is unique in having an amazing resident population of big sharks!
Video: Earth Touch Wild Oceans file clam
The latest Earth Touch video for their sea life themed Wild Oceans series features a file clam. The little critter is a bivalve, and uses jet propulsion to move it through the water. The video was filmed by Mark Thorpe.
Environmental photographer dies while snorkeling Great Barrier Reef
Renowned photographer Gary Braasch died yesterday while snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef. A Nikon Behind the Lens environmental photographer, Braasch’s recent project surrounded the effects of climate change. His work has been published in the New York Times and National Geographic among others.
Visitors to Monterey Bay aquarium treated to birth of wild sea otter
Visitors to the Monterey Bay Aquarium were treated to a rare sight of a wild sea otter giving birth to her pup. The mother otter hauled out onto a rock in one of the aquariums tide pools in full view of many visitors giving them a front row seat to the full birthing process of a wild animal.
Inon announces new lens mount for GoPro housings
Inon has just announced the release of their SD Front Mask STD, a new lens mount for GoPro housings. The depth rating is 40 meters (131 feet) and has compatible lenses and supports several different GoPro models.
First audio recordings from bottom of Mariana Trench
The first recorded audio from the bottom of the Mariana Trench have returned to the surface. Challenger Deep is the deepest known valley on the seafloor and lays at the bottom of the Mariana Trench at 36,000 feet deep.
Anima Mundi Issue 22 Available
RED WEAPON Underwater
RED Digital Cinema’s Sean Ruggeri and Nate Heartt have been testing the 6K RED WEAPON camera and the RED Optical Low Pass Filter underwater underwater in Cozumel, Mexico. The camera was housed in Gates DEEP Dragon housing.
- Scuba diver stays underwater for 51 hours breaks world record (via )
- ARRI unveils 6.5K sensor Alexa 65 (via )
- Issue 29 of African Diver is now available (via )
- Tangled manta ray cut free by divers in Costa Rica (via )
- Nikon updates Capture NX-D and other software (via )
- Split of iguana NG photo of the day by Lorenzo Mittiga (via )
- Olympus updates E-M1 firmware (via )
- Photo related features of the Apple Watch (via )
- Nikon D810 cameras with thermal fix marked with blue dot on box (via )
- Underwater wedding portraits are booming in Shanghai (via )