Divers discover ancient underwater forest
Review: Fantasea FG15 housing
Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon reviews the Fantasea FG15 housing for the Canon PowerShot G15 compact camera. This polycarbonate housing not only looks good, but also offers many features and refinements that are not on Canon’s housing for the camera.
British Underwater Photography Championship results announced
The British Society of Underwater Photographers (BSoUP) has announced the results of the annual British Underwater Photography Championship. The “splash-in” was held this weekend at the Mount Batten Center, Plymouth, UK and attracted some 25 entrants and, for a change, good weather.
Blennwatcher Diary: July 2013
In the first edition of the Blennywatcher Diary, Ned and Anna DeLoach discuss their surprise at discovering three species of hairy blenny at Blue Heron Bridge and challenge the Wetpixel community to discover why the Molly Miller blenny (Scartella cristata) is named as such. It also touches on their recent finds in Raja Ampat and some surprises from a night dive in Ambon.
Richard Brooks: Perceptions
Wetpixel member Richard Brooks of Lightning Strike Productions has added his short film “Perceptions” to the Wetpixel forum. It features time-lapse footage shot in Jellyfish Lake in Palau over a year and “gives an insight into the migration and light seeking behavior of the golden jellyfish that live in this incredible environment.”
Nikon shutter symphony by Benjamin Von Wong
New product: Nauticam Flash Trigger for Canon
Nauticam has announced the imminent release of its flash trigger for Canon cameras. This will allow for fiber optic strobe triggering for Canon cameras that do not have built-in flashes, or faster recycle times for those with them. The strobe trigger supports manual exposure only and will work with a wide variety of Inon and Sea & Sea strobes.
Egypt travel warnings issued
The UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office is currently advising that foreign citizens should avoid traveling to some areas of Egypt in the light of the current instability. Their advice does not include travel to Red Sea resort areas: “In view of the continued unrest in Egypt, the FCO recommends against all but essential travel to Egypt except for resorts on the Red Sea in South Sinai and those resorts on the Egyptian mainland in Red Sea governorate.”
- First images and specs of Canon EOS Kiss X7 SLR (via )
- A new study shows that stressed corals fluoresce less when… (via )
- New restrictions affect Hong Kong shark fin traders (via )
- Dr. Sylvia Earle speaks on “Quest for Sustainable Seas” at UC… (via )
- Manta trade proves that no species is safe from burgeoning… (via )
- Hundreds of sea lion pups wash ashore in California (via )
- Nikon repairs salt damaged lens by boiling it (via )
- Ocean plankton soaks up more than twice the carbon previously… (via )
- NCUPS’s SEA underwater photo and video competition is accepting… (via )
- In the forum: Dive the World Magazine closes down (via )