10 Bar announces housing for Olympus OMD-EM5
10 Bar has released details of their housing for the Olympus OMD EM-5 mirrorless camera. It has an aluminum front section, with a clear acrylic back featuring a double o ring seal. Strobe triggering is available via fiber optic bulkheads and 10 Bar has port support for the 12-50mm, 60mm, 14/20mm and 8mm lenses.
Video: Crab vs. methane vent
An ROV surveying methane vents at 4,130 ft as a part of Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute project around Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada, captured some amazing footage of a deep-sea crab “hunting” a vent.
Nikon: Mirrorless camera sales disappointing
The Blennywatcher Diary: August 2013
In the August instalment of The Blennywatcher Diary, Anna and Ned DeLoach report back on their recent trip to Utila, Honduras. Among other sightings, they recorded a Quillfin Blenny, Large-eye Toadfish and Yellow Jawfish. They also discuss hybridization and how species can be dispersed outside of their normal ranges by currents.
Amazon begins selling underwater fine art
Call for entries: Ocean Art 2013
The Ocean Art Photography Competition 2013 is now calling for entries. The competition has 12 categories, including a novice dSLR category and 3 compact camera categories as well as super macro, cold/temperate water, nudibranchs, and divers/fashion. Other more traditional categories include wide-angle, macro, marine life portraits, and marine life behavior.
Florida policeman stops traffic to save turtle hatchlings
Sarasota policeman Derek Conley was on patrol at 1 a.m. last Saturday when he found turtle hatchlings in a hotel parking lot. He and passers-by gathered them into a box and then released them into the water. The officer was forced to stop traffic several times in order to do so and he estimates that some 90-100 turtles were saved. (Image by Sarasota police)
Nauticam releases the NA-V2 housing
Nauticam has announced the release of their housing for the Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera. The housing features access to both the camera’s control dials, and a switch that allows the user to switch between LCD screen and EVF viewfinder. The camera’s built-in pop up flash can control TTL strobe output via fiber optic ports.
- Photoshelter and the ASMP present a photographer’s guide to… (via )
- ASMFC seeks to allow shark finning in US waters (via )
- The Natural History Museum launches Deep Sea ID iPhone and iPad… (via )
- DPReview posts a review of the Sony NEX-6 mirrorless camera (via )
- James Cameron’s submersible donated to Woods Hole (via BBC)
- Camera lost at sea for six years is reunited with its owner (via )
- Thom Hogan reviews the Sony NEX-6 camera (via )
- DxOMark scores lenses for Nikon D800. Nikon 16-35mm f4 rated… (via )
- Canon Singapore offers a try before you buy scheme for EF and… (via )
- Amazing image of an tardigrade extremophile (or water bear) (via BBC)