Video: The kelp beds of the Tasman Peninsula
Over 97 percent of kelp forest stalks have disappeared in the last twenty years along the east coast of Tasmania. A combination of many factors, including wind and currents, has led to the decline. The Wild Australia video investigates the decline. (Photo from Shutterstock)
Save Our Seas launches conservation photography grant
Image: Shadi Samara’s lionfish
Final call: British Wildlife Photographer Awards
The British Wildlife Photographer Awards (BWPA) are making a final call for entries for their 2014 contest. Categories include “Marine and Coast”, and in previous years, underwater photographers have done well in the “Animal Portraits” category too. Entries must have been taken in the United Kingdom.
Review: CM custom strobe diffusers
Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon presents a review of CM custom strobe diffusers. These provide smooth even illumination and a superb quality of light, and are available for many popular strobes. Adam used both wide-angle and macro versions extensively during the review
Image: Lionfish in glassfish school
Seacam announces new macro port and lens
Seacam USA has officially announced the release of their new macro port and wet macro lens. The MIP80 port is designed to have a narrow lens, allowing easier lighting positioning for subjects close to it. The MIP1 macro lens attached to the port via a friction o ring, and gives approximately 2 X magnification. A lens caddy is available for the lens.
Trailer for Louie Psihoyos’ new documentary ‘6’
Oscar winner Louie Psihoyos, best known for his 2009 documentary The Cove, has directed a new documentary titled ‘6’. This newest film focuses on endangered species and mass extinction. The trailer has just been released and the full documentary will be released to theaters later this year.
- July/August issue (#73) of UWP Magazine is available now (via )
- Carl Zeiss rebrands as just ZEISS (via )
- DIVE magazine’s July issue is out now (via )
- Issue 29 of the Underwater Journal is now available to download (via )
- Lampreys get “hot” for each other (via BBC)
- Air New Zealand’s full ban on shark fin cargo (via )
- National Geographic Taveler Photo Contest still open (via )
- Nikon updates D7100 C firmware to v.1.01 (via )
- Biggest Dead Zone Ever Forecast in the GOM (via )
- Instagram adds new video feature (via )