Call for entries: Canary Islands Dive Photo Challenge
The Canary Islands has launched their first online underwater photo contest. In order to participate, entrants must submit images taken at any time in the “sea beds of the Canary Islands.” There are Pro and Amateur classes and categories for Portfolios, Diving, Wildlife, Wide-Angle and Macro. The contest runs from 18 December through to 19 May 2016 and there are cash prizes for the winning entries.
Video: Big Wave Surfing by Aaron Eveland
Sony announces PXW-Z150 4K camcorder
Sony has announced the PXW-Z150 4K camcorder. It features a 1” stacked CMOS sensor which provides “clear, sharp pictures in extreme low-light conditions”. Output is available in 4K at 100Mbps and HD at frame rates of up to 120fps. Remote operation is available via wifi and internal recording is to two SC card slots.
Icelandic fin whale hunt cancelled
According to the Icelandic Monitor, the operators of the annual Icelandic fin whale (Balaenoptera physalus) hunt have cancelled their hunt planned for summer 2016. The company that carries out the hunt, Hvalur, exports the whale meat to Japan and claims that the way it is tested by the Japanese means the hunt is not viable. Photo from Shutterstock.
Final Call: Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2016
Final call: DEEP Indonesia 2016
DEEP Indonesia, one of the world’s most prestigious underwater photography contest will close for entries at 11:59pm (Pacific Time) on 25 February. You have just over one more day to enter and try to win some of the over $100,000 worth of prizes that are on offer in the UnderwaterCompetition.com series.
Video: Earth Touch Wild Oceans
Sigma announces E-mount converter
Sigma has announced that it plans to produce a converter that will allow the use of Sigma EOS and Sigma mount lenses with Sony E-mount cameras. The converter will allow full AF and bridges between Sony in-camera OS and Sigma’s lens OS. It features an LED display that provides the user with feedback regarding lens compatibility.
- Underwater Photography magazine issue 80 is now available to… (via )
- September issue of DIVE magazine available (via )
- Nikon updates D4s firmware to C:1:10 (via )
- Volcano erupts in Papua New Guinea (via )
- A statement from the “selfie” monkey (via )
- GoPro releases tutorial Field Guide (via )
- Instagram releases Hyperlapse (via )
- Nikon releases firmware updates for D90, D7000, D7100, D600,… (via )
- Twitter users confuse Sir David Attenborough with his now… (via )
- Massive number of By-The-Wind-Sailor jellies cover water surface (via )