Icelandic fin whale hunt cancelled
According to the Icelandic Monitor, the operators of the annual Icelandic fin whale (Balaenoptera physalus) hunt have cancelled their hunt planned for summer 2016. The company that carries out the hunt, Hvalur, exports the whale meat to Japan and claims that the way it is tested by the Japanese means the hunt is not viable. Photo from Shutterstock.
Final Call: Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2016
Final call: DEEP Indonesia 2016
DEEP Indonesia, one of the world’s most prestigious underwater photography contest will close for entries at 11:59pm (Pacific Time) on 25 February. You have just over one more day to enter and try to win some of the over $100,000 worth of prizes that are on offer in the UnderwaterCompetition.com series.
Video: Earth Touch Wild Oceans
Sigma announces E-mount converter
Sigma has announced that it plans to produce a converter that will allow the use of Sigma EOS and Sigma mount lenses with Sony E-mount cameras. The converter will allow full AF and bridges between Sony in-camera OS and Sigma’s lens OS. It features an LED display that provides the user with feedback regarding lens compatibility.
Nikon announces DL compact camera series
Nikon has announced three new compact cameras with a new 20.8-megapixel (CX-format) 1-inch BSI CMOS sensor. The DL24-85 offers a 24-85mm focal length and a “Super Macro Mode”. The DL18-50 has a focal length of 18-50mm while the DL24-500’s is 24-500mm. All three cameras offer 4K UHD video capability [3840x2160] at 30p.
Coralline algae found in freshwater
A paper published in Nature’s Scientific Reports describes the first freshwater coralline algae. Pneophyllum cetinaensis is a red algae, which are typically a significant component of sea beds in marine environments. In this instance, the new species has been found in the River Cetina in Croatia.
Behind the scenes of the Humane Society’s shark fin campaign photo shoot
Recently Nick Saglimbeni and singer Jhené Aiko joined The Humane Society’s Protect Sharks campaign to highlight the importance of protecting sharks from the impact of finning them for shark fin soup. The behind the scenes video shows how they got the shots in a pool during the day and talks about the importance of protecting these animals.
- Instagram releases Hyperlapse (via )
- Nikon releases firmware updates for D90, D7000, D7100, D600,… (via )
- Twitter users confuse Sir David Attenborough with his now… (via )
- Massive number of By-The-Wind-Sailor jellies cover water surface (via )
- Apple updates FCPX, Compressor, Motion (via )
- DSTRUX brings control to sharing images online (via )
- Shark week is more dangerous than sharks (via )
- NG photo of the day by Mike Korostolev (via )
- World’s fastest camera shoots at 4.4 trillion frames per… (via )
- Australian humpback dolphin is world’s newest dolphin… (via )