Nauticam ships NA-G7X housing
Nauticam has announced their housing for the Canon Powershot G7 X compact camera. It is the first of the company’s housing to feature their new N50 port system, which offers interchangeable ports for compact cameras. The aim is to feature a range of ports tailored for specific applications and camera models
2014 Ocean Art Competition winners announced
Nikon announces the D5500 SLR camera
Nikon has announced the release of the D5500 SLR camera. It features the 24.2-million pixels, a Nikon DX-format CMOS sensor, and the EXPEED 4 image-processing engine. Native ISO is from 100 to 25600. Although not of use particularly for underwater image makers, it also has a tilting touch screen LCD control and built-in wifi.
Ikelite announces magnifying viewfinders
Ikelite has announced the mid-January release of two magnifying viewfinders for their housings. The two models are a straight and a 45° version. The 45° viewfinder has two versions, one with more clearance for housings that have controls that stick out more.
Por el planeta photo competition now open for entries
Por el planeta wildlife, nature and conservation photo competition is now open for entries. The competition is convened by Mexico, but is open to entrants around the world. With over $300,000 US in prizes, including a $100,000 prize for first place, this is a photo competition not to miss.
Call for posts: Favourite image of 2014
Last call for entries: UPY London
Video: Joel Grimes on pricing
Pro advertising photographer Joel Grimes has posted a video giving some hints about pricing images and assignments onto YouTube. Perhaps the most telling sentence is: “At the end of a job, if you have a smile on your face, you have done it right. If you had a smile on your face, you know…. I made a chunk on money on that, it was worth it…”
- Dolphin deaths on east coast and morbiliivirus (via )
- Adobe servers hacked (via )
- This is what a beach covered in walruses looks like (via )
- Nick Brandt’s new book of calcified animals (via )
- How to remove people and cars from your time-lapse (via )
- Scientists warn that ocean conservation efforts may be misplaced (via BBC)
- Researchers develop miniature wide-angle lens (via )
- October issue of DIVE magazine now available to download (via )
- Fluid filled lens mimics traits of human vision (via )
- More Nikon 1 AW1 coverage (via )