Join Wetpixel in Guadalupe this August
Mega colony of 1.5 million penguins discovered by drone in Antarctic
An enormous colony of more than 1.5 million Adelie penguins was discovered in the Antarctic. The massive colonies of penguins were found in the Danger Islands which lie in the Weddell Sea. The area is difficult to reach and is rarely visited. Scientists studying satellite images found what appeared to be never before seen nesting pairs of penguins, 751,527 pairs to be exact.
State Department issues travel warning for Yucatan
The U. S. Embassy in Mexico City, Mexico has issued a warning about using passenger ferries from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel, Qintana Roo, Mexico. On 21 February, a bomb was detonated on a Barcos Caribe ferry whilst passengers were disembarking, causing 26 injuries. On 1 March, another vessel from the same fleet was found to have explosive devices which were made safe. (Stock Image. Ultramar ferries were not affected by the recent attack)
RIP Dan Auber
Professional and underwater photographer Dan Auber died at his Oceanside home last Thursday. Well known among the Californian underwater photography scene, Dan had a photographic career spanning over 40 years. The Wetpixel community send its sincere condolences to his family and friends.
RIP Art Haseltine
Seacam announces Silver D850 housing
Seacam has released their housing for the Nikon D850. It features 5 M16 ports for strobe triggering or accessories, compatibility with Seacam’s magnifying viewfinders and their unique combined lever for accessing ISO and AF ON the left thumb.
Issue 101 of Underwater Photography magazine is available
The March/April edition of Underwater Photography (UwP) magazine is now available to download. Issue 101 presents the winners of the Underwater Photographe rod the Year contest and has product reviews of the Nikon D850, Weefine 1000 & 3000 Ring Lights and the Paralenz camera. Marine life is discussed in an article about ghost pipefish and Joseph Litt’s book Galápagos is reviewed.
Issue 30 of Anima Mundi magazine available
- Canon updates 5DS and 5DS R firmware to version 1.1.2 (via )
- Nikon updates Snapbridge app to 2.0.1 (via )
- Mt Agung has a history of global climate impacts (via )
- This drone photographer sees things in the surf (via )
- The gold mine threatening salmon in Alaska (via )
- 17 amazing photos of animals from above (via )
- Blackmagic Design updates camera firmware to 4.7.1 (via )
- Divers find shipwreck off coast of Maine (via )
- Camera battery explodes at Orlando airport (via )
- Kevin the manta is revealing new clues about manta rays (via )