Video: Ragged tooth sharks of Aliwal Shoal
The ragged tooth (Carcharias taurus) aka sand tiger sharks are frequently encountered inhabitants on the reefs of Aliwal Shoal, Kwazulu Natal, South Africa. Earth Touch’s Wild Oceans pays the area a visit in this week’s episode, and the cameraman finds that despite appearances, the sharks are docile and happy to share the water with him.
Canon develops 250 megapixel sensor
Canon has announced that it has developed a CMOS sensor with approximately 250 megapixels. This has been achieved by advanced circuit miniaturization and signal processing technology allowing the digital information to be moved from the sensor quickly. In fact, it will shoot video at 5fps. Canon see the sensors application in industry and security applications, although the press release also mentions “the field of visual expression.”
Sea&Sea announces the MDX-EM5 Mark II housing
Sea&Sea has announced their housing for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 II mirrorless camera. The MDX-EM5 Mark II housing can be used with the Olympus supplied FL-EM3 flash unit to provide fiber optic strobe triggering. It is compatible with the company’s magnifying viewfinders, and has three grip options.
Video: The Thin Blue Line
Winners of Scuba Diving’s Through Your Lens announced
Borneo from Below: Sea Snakes
X-Ray issue 68 available
X-Ray Mag issue 68 is now available to download. Florida’s Palm Beaches are featured in the September/October edition, along with articles about British Colombia, blue sharks and symbiosis. In the photo & video column, Rico Besserdich presents an article on how to compile a portfolio.
Nauticam releases housing for Arri Alexa Mini
Nauticam, in conjunction with Hydroflex, has produced a housing for the Arri Alexa Mini camera. It offers support for many cinema and SLR lenses and is supplied with a 250mm (10”) dome. The housing supports surface control and provides space to mount an Anton Bauer “Gold Mount” battery plate in the back door. This also allows access to the camera’s CFast card.
- Outdoor Photographer magazine sold to Madavor Media (via )
- Volunteer Divers Needed for Giant Sea Bass Count August 1-16,… (via )
- Atomos upgrades Shogun firmware to AtomOS6.4 (via )
- Obama administration delivers blow to Shell’s Arctic drilling… (via )
- The most common vertebrate in the world is a fish (via )
- Adobe Dehaze: a tool for dealing with backscatter (via )
- Facebook unveils new Snapchat-esque photo editing (via )
- Starfish excrete foreign bodies through their arms (via )
- Tamales Bay revival exceeds expectations in just seven years (via )
- Swimming with sharks off Oahu, Hawaii (via )