Sea World San Diego banned from breeding Orcas
The California Coastal Commission has approved Sea World San Diego’s plans to double their current killer whale tank from a 5.8 million gallon pool to a 9.6 million gallon pool with a caveat, they may not breed new killer whales and they may not collect killer whales from the wild. The expansion plan will cost $100 million US and will create a larger home for they current 11 captive orcas.
Reikan releases FoCal v.2.0
Reikan has announced the release of version 2.0 of their FoCal focus tuning app. The app enables users to tune their camera and lens performance, with significant improvements in image quality, particularly with high resolution SLR cameras. The new version offers the ability to share results, more information about camera performance, improved speed and reports and voice prompts.
Image: Cardinal fish releasing fry by Elio Nicosia
NOAA warns of third coral bleaching event
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has declared that the third global coral bleaching episode is now underway. The event began in the north Pacific in 2014, is expected to expose 95% of corals in the U.S.A. to bleaching conditions by the ned of 2015, with a similar effect on reefs globally. (Image from [Shutterstock)(http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-208937023/stock-photo-shallow-corals-begin-to-bleach-in-eastern-indonesia-bleaching-is-usually-caused-by-sea-temperature.html?src=Lp66Amrj7pR7pKIIAnQnZg-1-3))
Costa Rica pledges not to protect sharks
ICR News reports that the Costa Rican government has stated in a letter sent to environmental groups that; “it will not propose or support the inclusion of shark species with commercial interest in the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and the Convention on Migratory Species (CMS)”.
Borneo from Below: Catsharks
Adobe provides solutions for issues with Lightroom update
Video: Wild Oceans Octopus
- Canon releases bug fixing firmware for EOS 6D (via )
- Nikon updates D4 firmware to v1.10 (via )
- Spearfisherman films aggressive reef shark with GoPro (via )
- Dolphin and surfer collide off Australia (via )
- The story of Horseshoe Crab blood (via )
- Obama expands protection for California coastline (via )
- Flickr and Getty part ways (via )
- 6.9 earthquake off California in Pacific Ocean sunday (via )
- Fleet of underwater drones to map ocean floor (via )
- Hammerhead shark by Denis Nezhentsev - NG photo of the day (via )