Field review: Canon EOS 6D, NA-6D housing and Zen DP-100 port
Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon presents a selective field review of the performance of the Canon EOS 6D camera, the Nauticam NA-6D housing and Zen DP-100 dome port whilst photographing the whale shark aggregation at Isla Mujeres during the 2013 Wetpixel Ultimate Whale Sharks expedition.
Stella McCartney does fashion week underwater
Fashion designer Stella McCartney had models swim the underwater catwalk for London’s fashion week in a unique and creative move to highlight new Adidas swimwear.
Nikon announces AW1 underwater camera
In a move rumored previously, Nikon has announced an interchangeable lens camera based on its 1 system. They have also unveiled waterproof 10mm f2.8 and 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 lenses as well as an underwater Speedlight (SB-N10). Whilst comparisons with Nikonos are bound to be made, it is important to note that the maximum depth of these is 15m, so it is still not a “proper” underwater camera and the current lens choices are, at best limiting for underwater use.
Disturbing underwater images from Hawaii’s molasses spill
Underwater images show a disturbing level of devastation in Honolulu’s harbor post Molasses spill. The images show all types of marine life in the harbor dead or dying on the sea floor.
Ear wax, flame retardants & hormones: A blue whale study
Scientist’s use a ten-inch long plug of blue whale ear wax to track ocean pollution through the years.
Interview with Shawn Heinrichs and Hannah Fraser
Photographer and videographer Shawn Heinrichs and professional mermaid Hannah Fraser have collaborated on some ground breaking ocean conservation campaigns. Their conceptual imagery is featured in this week’s Full Frame, so we decided to interview them to find out their plans, techniques and motivations.
Smithsonian features underwater art
The Smithsonian is celebrating the fifth anniversary of the opening of the Sant Ocean Hall with a gallery and two temporary exhibitions that celebrate the connection between humans and the oceans. The exhibitions feature the work of Brian Skerry, Cornelia Kubler Kavanagh and Gareth Lawson.
Video: EunJae Im in Lembeh
- James Cameron’s submersible donated to Woods Hole (via BBC)
- Camera lost at sea for six years is reunited with its owner (via )
- Thom Hogan reviews the Sony NEX-6 camera (via )
- DxOMark scores lenses for Nikon D800. Nikon 16-35mm f4 rated… (via )
- Canon Singapore offers a try before you buy scheme for EF and… (via )
- Amazing image of an tardigrade extremophile (or water bear) (via BBC)
- Adobe suggests customers should fly to the US to get better… (via )
- Possibly the strangest camera review ever! The Fuji x100 walks… (via )
- CNN: Overfished and under-protected; oceans on the brink of… (via )
- DeepX and 3Deep housings nominated for best innovations in film… (via )