Divers discover ancient underwater forest
Review: Fantasea FG15 housing
Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon reviews the Fantasea FG15 housing for the Canon PowerShot G15 compact camera. This polycarbonate housing not only looks good, but also offers many features and refinements that are not on Canon’s housing for the camera.
British Underwater Photography Championship results announced
The British Society of Underwater Photographers (BSoUP) has announced the results of the annual British Underwater Photography Championship. The “splash-in” was held this weekend at the Mount Batten Center, Plymouth, UK and attracted some 25 entrants and, for a change, good weather.
Blennwatcher Diary: July 2013
In the first edition of the Blennywatcher Diary, Ned and Anna DeLoach discuss their surprise at discovering three species of hairy blenny at Blue Heron Bridge and challenge the Wetpixel community to discover why the Molly Miller blenny (Scartella cristata) is named as such. It also touches on their recent finds in Raja Ampat and some surprises from a night dive in Ambon.
Richard Brooks: Perceptions
Wetpixel member Richard Brooks of Lightning Strike Productions has added his short film “Perceptions” to the Wetpixel forum. It features time-lapse footage shot in Jellyfish Lake in Palau over a year and “gives an insight into the migration and light seeking behavior of the golden jellyfish that live in this incredible environment.”
Nikon shutter symphony by Benjamin Von Wong
New product: Nauticam Flash Trigger for Canon
Nauticam has announced the imminent release of its flash trigger for Canon cameras. This will allow for fiber optic strobe triggering for Canon cameras that do not have built-in flashes, or faster recycle times for those with them. The strobe trigger supports manual exposure only and will work with a wide variety of Inon and Sea & Sea strobes.
Egypt travel warnings issued
The UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office is currently advising that foreign citizens should avoid traveling to some areas of Egypt in the light of the current instability. Their advice does not include travel to Red Sea resort areas: “In view of the continued unrest in Egypt, the FCO recommends against all but essential travel to Egypt except for resorts on the Red Sea in South Sinai and those resorts on the Egyptian mainland in Red Sea governorate.”
- Canon has developed a high-sensitivity low noise full-frame CMOS… (via )
- Think Tank releases new battery and Compact Flash card pouches. (via )
- Issue 53 of X-Ray Mag is available to download (via )
- Ocean Film Festival begins 03-07-2013 in San Francisco (via )
- The March issue of DIVE magazine is now available online (via )
- Underwater Photographry magazine issue 71 is available to… (via )
- Hope still for a pro Nikon DX body: “The D7100 is not… (via )
- Ikelite offers housings for Sony A57 and A65 SLT cameras (via )
- EU Ministers vote to accept fish dumping ban. Spain, France and… (via BBC)
- PEW experts discuss shark and manta ray protection (via )