Call for entries: Dive Travel Show photo contest
Buceo Iberico in conjunction with Dive Travel Show has announced the 2017 Underwater Photo Contest Dive Travel Show. It is being held in conjunction with the Dive Travel Show which will be held in Madrid, Spain on 4 and 5 March. There is no entry fee and the deadline for entries is 14 February.
Bite Back calendars on sale
UK Environmental charity Bite Back are offering their remaining 2017 calendars at half price. They feature images by Alex Mustard, Amanda Cotton, Amos Nachoum, Anna Burn, Brian Skerry, Christian Vizl, David Doubilet, Ellen Cuylaerts, Jane Morgan, Jason Isley, Pash Baker, Steve Jones and Tanya Houppermans.
2016 Ocean Art Winners announced
Call for entries: Oasis Photo Contest 2017
The 2017 Oasis Photo Contest is calling for entries. Offering cash prizes, there is a specific category for underwater photography. The deadline for entries is 28 February 2017.
X-Ray Magazine 77 available to download
DxOMARK awards highest score to RED Helium sensor
DxOMARK has been benchmark testing a prototype of the new ED Helium 8K sensor and awarded their highest score ever. The testing gave the new sensor a score of 108, higher then the previous top score of 101 achieved by the RED Epic Dragon. For comparison, the Sony a7rII achieves 98 and the Nikon D810, 97.
Book Review: Secrets of the Seas
Wetpixel reviews Callum Roberts’ and Alex Mustard’s book “Secrets of the Seas: A Journey into the Heart of the Ocean”. This large format, visually impressive book features some amazing imagery, but also weaves a tale about the oceans’ history, present conditions and some thoughts about their possible future.
The first underwater photograph of a US president, and the story behind it
The February issue of National Geographic magazine will contain an article titled Sea of Hope: America’s Underwater Treasures that features a photograph of president Barack Obama snorkeling underwater on Midway Atoll. The image is the first known photograph of a US president underwater and was shot by National Geographic photographer Brian Skerry. The magazine has published a short article with Skerry about his experience as well as a video.
- A look at the new iPhone’s bokeh mode (via )
- Canon updates DPP to v.4.5.0 and EOS Utility to v.3.5.0 (via )
- Canon updates EOS 1D-X Mark II firmware to v.1.12 (via )
- Unraveling the mysteries of Great White Sharks (via )
- Watch a video tour of iPhone 7’s new camera features (via )
- Canon updates 7D Mark II firmware to v.1.1.0 (via )
- Photos show one of the largest lakes disappearing (via )
- The world’s first underwater portrait was taken in 1899 (via )
- iPhone 7 reported to be waterproof (via )
- Photos of hermit crabs with beach trash homes (via )