New guide to Grand Cayman launched
Author and photographer Steve Rosenberg, in conjunction with Greg Bassett, is releasing a new guide to travel and diving in Grand Cayman. The eBook features information on 75 dive sites as well as general information on vacationing on the island, with over 350 images.
Oasis Photo Contest calls for entries
Borneo from Below: Turtle Rodeo
The first documented manta ray nursery in southeast asia
Through a manta ray tagging program, scientists have recently confirmed the location of a manta ray nursery in southeast asia’s Wayag Lagoon of Raja Ampat. Conservation International, the Indonesian Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries, the Indonesian Institute of Sciences, S.E.A. Aquarium, and Manta Trust have been fitting manta rays in southeast asia with satellite tags since 2014. They are just now learning the secrets of the manta rays of this area.
Earth Touch: Orca launches harbor seal
KNECT releases dome port for GoPro
KNECT has released the KSD6 6” dome port for GoPro 3+ and 4 cameras. The semi-hemispherical acrylic dome accessory increases the camera’s FOV by over 30% and it will focus nearly 50% closer. The dome is rated to 135 feet and can be attached simply to the GoPro housing and allows access to the cameras controls
Show report: Dive 2015
The Dive Show is the UK’s largest and busiest consumer dive show and attracts a wide audience of participants and exhibitors from the UK and beyond. It was held from 24 and 25 October at the National Exhibition Center, Birmingham, UK. Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon was on hand to try and bring the show to those that couldn’t be there.
Scientists collect three miniature giant squid
Scientists have captured and collected not one, but three juvenile giant squid in the first confirmed collection of its kind. All three specimens were collected off the south-west coast of Japan by fishermen. Each squid was less than one pound and between five and thirteen inches in length. One of the three specimens was collected alive and two were collected together.
- Hammerhead shark by Denis Nezhentsev - NG photo of the day (via )
- Sony promises improved image quality update for A7 and A7R (via )
- New California bill seeks to ban Orcas performing in captivity (via )
- Getty images are now free for non-commercial use (via )
- Harp seal found on New York beach (via )
- Malibu protects dolphins and whales (via )
- Issue 14 of Anima Mundi magazine is now available to download (via )
- Sea Lions of the Galapagos Islands (via )
- How deep can fish swim? (via )
- Over underwater photographs in a tank (via )