Spaces available: Wetpixel Whale Sharks 2015
Wetpixel has two spaces available on their Whale Shark Expedition to Isla Mujeres this year. The trip is running from 26 July to 1 August and like our previous trips, will give the very best opportunities to snorkel and photograph large numbers of whale sharks. During the past two years trips, we have seen large numbers of manta rays too!
Video: Chris Burkard at TED
Gizmodo features deep fish collecting
Norbert Wu’s Favorite Images: My first photographs
In those week’s episode of underwater photographer Norbert Wu’s favorite images column, he tells the story of how he came to be an underwater photographer, and shows us some of the first images he took. They were shot with a Nikonos IV and feature macro images of a spotjaw blenny (Acanthemblemaria rivasi).
Photographer on getting underwater photos published by National Geographic
When Carter Warden first started his Flickr page, it was more for a place to back up and display the thousands of underwater images he took in and around Tennessee. That’s why he was surprised when a National Geographic researcher contacted him about using two of his images for an upcoming project.
Video: Basking sharks filmed from air off Gloucester
Sightings of basking sharks off the coast of Gloucester, Massachusetts are common this time of year, but not many people get to see them. Last friday local resident and drone enthusiast Martin Del Vecchio got a tip from a friend that basking sharks were right offshore. He headed down to the shoreline with his drone and captured some amazing footage of two large basking sharks gently cruising offshore.
Video: Corals, clear waters and cruising fish
Earth Touch’s Wild Oceans channel features footage from Andiamo in Indonesia shot by Wetpixel Moderator Mike Veitch. It features large schools of fish, from hundreds of yellow-spotted fusiliers (Caesio teres) to cruising batfish and a school of convict blennies (Pholidichthys leucotaenia) hovering close to the reef. Beautifully coloured soft corals, sponges and amazing sea fans decorate the sea floor.
Sealux announces housing for Sony PXW-X70
- Tube worms fluorescence due to Vitamin B (via )
- Nick Mevoli: A freediver remembered (via )
- Newspaper removes all photos to support photographers (via )
- Amy Smart on cleaning up ocean plastic (via )
- Adobe Lightroom 5.3 and Camera RAW 8.3 release candidates… (via )
- Rare Right Whale spotted in Victoria BC (via )
- Underwater Photography magazine issue 75 available to download (via )
- November issue of DIVE magazine available to download (via )
- Ze Frank’s true facts of the cuttlefish (via )
- Pacific ocean warming fastest in 10,000 years (via )