James Cameron’s Deep Sea 3D in theaters today
James Cameron’s latest endeavor, Deep Sea 3D, is in US theaters beginning today. The 3D film documents Cameron’s journey to construct a submarine capable of transporting him to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, and subsequent dive to get there. The Mariana Trench is unique in that it is almost seven miles down, the deepest part of the ocean.
Blackmagic Design releases Resolve 11
Blackmagic Design has released DaVinci Resolve 11. This version adds new nonlinear editing tools, updated and photographer friendly color correction tools, on set media management and enhanced integration into Final Cut Pro X’s workflow.
Nauticam announces the NA-D810
Nauticam has announced their housing for the Nikon D810 SLR. The NA-D810 features access to the camera’s Function (Fn) and Preview (Pv) buttons, which can be programmed for other functions, as well as a thumb lever giving access to the camera’s Info button.
Inon releases LED flashlight LF1400-S
Behind the Shot: Mimmo Roscigno
Mimmo Roscigno has posted some awe inspiring images on Wetpixel’s Facebook page in the past few days. Here is just one of his fantastic shots and the story behind how he got it.
Gates’s John Ellerbrock on the Sony AX100
The owner of Gates Underwater Products, John Ellerbrock, has sent us the following personal thoughts regarding a day he spent diving and testing the Sony FDR AX100 4K camcorder in one of his company’s housings.
Bird’s Head Seascape website launched
Burt Jones, Maurine Shimlock and Newmediasoup launch Bird’s Head Seascape website. The website is of particular note for scuba divers visiting Raja Ampat, Cenderawasih Bay and Triton Bay as it includes valuable information about scuba diving, sustainable tourism, news, research and conservation in the areas.
Monterey Underwater Film Festival August 9, 2014
The 2014 Monterey Underwater Film Festival is set to be held in the Golden State Theatre Saturday August 9, 2014. The film festival coincides with the Monterey Shootout and admission is included in registration. Adam Ravetch, Sylvia Earle, Cristian Dimitrius and Erick Higuera will be presenting.
- Sylvia Earle’s latest blog post on Huffington Post Green (via )
- UW photos of Bryde’s whale in full balloon mode (via )
- Coca Rocha talks about using moving cinemagraphs (via )
- David duChemin on being more creative (via )
- The Daily Mail features the results of DEEP Indonesia (via )
- Windows adds raw support for 22 cameras (via )
- Apple updates its Digital Camera Raw compatibility to 4.06 (via )
- Olympus releases firmware updates for OMD and PEN cameras (via )
- Brunei institutes Asia’s first nationwide shark fin ban (via )
- Chagos marine park in Indian Ocean ruled lawful (via BBC)