Indonesia creates new manta ray sanctuary
The Indonesian government has declared over 4,000 square miles off Komodo and West Manggarai as a manta ray and shark sanctuary. The protected area includes coastal areas up to 12 nautical miles offshore.
Video: Aiding a manta
Sony announces new mirrorless cameras and lenses
Sony has announced two new mirrorless cameras and two new lenses. The α3000 has a 20.1 megapixel Exmor APS-C sensor with a native ISO range of 100-16000 and the NEX-5T is an update on the NEX-5R with the addition of Near Field Communication (NFC) for easy wi-fi connectivity. New lenses include the Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS and the E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS telephoto zooms.
Now available: Wetpixel Whale sharks 2014
We have now finalized our plans for our Wetpixel Whale Shark trips for 2014. The dates of the trips are 26 July to 1 August followed by 1 to 7 August. They will be based on the island of Isla Mujeres, Mexico, which is a short ferry ride from Cancun. The annual whale shark ((Rhincodon typus) aggregation that occurs here is quite simply one of the most amazing spectacles in the oceans and if you haven’t been yet, you really should!
Call for entries: Beneath the Sea 2014
The annual Beneath the Sea (BTS) International Imaging competition is calling for entries. It has three major categories: The David Doubilet award for underwater photography, the Stan Waterman award for underwater videography and the Jim Church award for creative underwater photography.
CM custom diffusers available
Clark Miller has announced the commercial release of his custom dome diffuser range. These are available for Inon, Ikelite and Sea & Sea strobes and in opacities suitable for either wide-angle or macro photography
Shark Savers and WildAid to merge
Conservation organizations, Shark Savers and WildAid, have joined forces. The merger will allow the pooling of their resources into campaigns to stop shark finning and shark conservation, and increased efficiency of operations.
Scuba diver caught smuggling marijuana
A Canadian scuba diver was caught early monday morning attempting to smuggle eight pounds of marijuana into the United States via the St. Clair river.
- Who pays what? Tumblr feature on how photographers are paid. (via )
- CITES approves protection for hammerheads. (via )
- By a narrow margin, CITES votes to protect oceanic whitetip… (via BBC)
- Viewfactor announces the Novo re-housed Go Pro HERO3 for… (via )
- Polar bear protection proposal rejected at CITES (via BBC)
- Panasonic announces updates for its GH3 camera and 4-42, 45-175… (via )
- The Nikon Coolpix A: Why it is way more important than you think (via )
- Issue 26 of African Diver magazine is now available to download (via African Diver)
- A great photographic account of the operations at NASA’s neutral… (via )
- Canon has developed a high-sensitivity low noise full-frame CMOS… (via )