Nikon announces AW1 underwater camera
In a move rumored previously, Nikon has announced an interchangeable lens camera based on its 1 system. They have also unveiled waterproof 10mm f2.8 and 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 lenses as well as an underwater Speedlight (SB-N10). Whilst comparisons with Nikonos are bound to be made, it is important to note that the maximum depth of these is 15m, so it is still not a “proper” underwater camera and the current lens choices are, at best limiting for underwater use.
Disturbing underwater images from Hawaii’s molasses spill
Underwater images show a disturbing level of devastation in Honolulu’s harbor post Molasses spill. The images show all types of marine life in the harbor dead or dying on the sea floor.
Ear wax, flame retardants & hormones: A blue whale study
Scientist’s use a ten-inch long plug of blue whale ear wax to track ocean pollution through the years.
Interview with Shawn Heinrichs and Hannah Fraser
Photographer and videographer Shawn Heinrichs and professional mermaid Hannah Fraser have collaborated on some ground breaking ocean conservation campaigns. Their conceptual imagery is featured in this week’s Full Frame, so we decided to interview them to find out their plans, techniques and motivations.
Smithsonian features underwater art
The Smithsonian is celebrating the fifth anniversary of the opening of the Sant Ocean Hall with a gallery and two temporary exhibitions that celebrate the connection between humans and the oceans. The exhibitions feature the work of Brian Skerry, Cornelia Kubler Kavanagh and Gareth Lawson.
Video: EunJae Im in Lembeh
Video: Macronesia by Shane Siers
Shane Siers has produced a series of macro life films, concentrating on the nudibranchs of the Pacific. These are beautifully shot and edited, but also have a strong identification and marine biology focus that makes them educational as well. Wetpixel is proud to be featuring his work, and we plan to add his films as a weekly feature over the next few months.
Ikelite announces housing for Canon EOS 70D
Ikelite has announced the imminent release of their housing for the Canon EOS 70D. It features TTL strobe control (when used with Ikelite DS Substrobes), its video record start/stop and AF lock controls are on side levers and it is supplied with an aluminum tray with dual handles.
- Anger grows as a shark being used by Kmart in an advert dies. (via BBC)
- Nikon updates Capture NX, Camera Control Pro and more (via )
- Palau’s President proposes no commercial fishing in island’s… (via )
- Carl Safina writes about the politics of shark protection at… (via )
- Free Actual Pixels app allows viewing of images at 100% on iOS… (via )
- How pro photographers view pro SLRs (via )
- Nikon updates ViewNX to version 2.7.4 (via )
- Call on your CITES representative to stand by their votes to… (via )
- Wetpixel Associate editor, Alex Mustard, to speak at the London… (via )
- Issue 10 of Anima Mundi is now available to download (via )