Tilikum the Orca, subject of the Blackfish documentary, has died
Tilikum, the subject of the infamous Sea World documentary Blackfish, has died. The announcement comes on the heels of the termination of Sea World California killer whale performances less than a week ago. Tilikum made world headlines in 2010 when he killed trainer Dawn Brancheau. He had previously been implicated in two deaths in the nineties as well.
Sea&Sea announces new housing for EOS 5D Mark IV
Sea&Sea has announced their housing for the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV camera. It is compatible with a YS Optical converter that will be released in February, and features a redesigned AF Lock lever. Also announced is the company’s new V5 vacuum leak detection system.
Dell announces 32 inch 8K monitor
Kodak Reintroduces Ektachrome film
Students find therapy in underwater photography
In 2010, teacher Ben Thwaits started the In A New Light nature photography program at Northwest Passage. The beauty of this story is that Northwest Passage is no ordinary school, it is a treatment program for young people battling mental illness, and the nature photography he teaches is not your average backyard nature photography, it is underwater photography.
Quick Tutorial: Adding Keywords with Less Hassle
This week’s Lightroom Coffee Break is entitled “Adding Keywords with Less Hassle” and offers a simple technique that saves a lot of time when keyboarding images in the program. Simply, once you have entered a keyword into the window, pressing the Command (Control) key acts as a modifier that then moves the selection directly on to the next image.
Canon announces new cameras at CES
Panasonic announces the GH5 camera
Panasonic has announced the specifications of their LUMIX GH5 mirrorless camera at the CES Show. It has a 20.3 MP sensor with a new Venus image processor and a native ISO of up to 25,5600. It also offers a 6K 30 fps “burst mode” for action shots. Perhaps more notably, it offers video at 4K 60p/50p and 4K 30p with internal 4:2:2 10-bit recording.
- Stephen Frink interviewed on Fotoflock (via )
- Nikon updates D750 firmware C to 1.01 (via )
- Nikon updates D810 firmware C to version 1.02 (via )
- New image format BPG may be set to replace the JPG (via )
- Breeding protections for bluefin tuna (via )
- Adobe updates Lightroom to 5.7.1 (via )
- Adobe releases Camera RAW version 8.7.1 (via )
- The story of an underwater ballroom, a swindler and death by… (via )
- Biodegradable fishing nets with tracking devices to cut down on… (via )
- Sony’s underwater store is 12 feet deep (via )