Call for entries: Dive Rite annual photo contest
Santa Barbara Film Festival hosts a Tribute to Ernie Brooks
The Santa Barbara Film Festival is to host a tribute to Ernie Brooks. It will be held in the Arlington Theater in Santa Barbara on Saturday, 14 September at 7:00 PM. The program will be a benefit to raise funds for the Historical Diving Society USA and the Santa Barbara Maritime Museum.
Tracking basking sharks off the Isle of Man
Back into the Light
Wetpixel Moderator Steve Williams was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer back in November 2011. In May this year, cancer free, he returned to the oceans, diving in the Lembeh Strait, Indonesia. I feel very privileged to share this article about his experience with the Wetpixel community.
Adobe releases Lightroom 5
Adobe has announced the release of version 5 of its Lightroom image processing software. The beta version has been in existence for some time and, true to its statements, Adobe has made the new version available as a stand-alone purchase as well as a part of the Creative Cloud package. It incorporates new healing abilities (great for backscatter removal) and offline editing abilities. As a stand alone, it is priced at $149 or $79 as an upgrade.
Focused on macro with Alex Mustard and Wetpixel
We have a few spaces left to fill for the Wetpixel/Alex Mustard Lembeh macro workshop. If you are not quite getting the results you want from your macro photography, or want to try new ideas and techniques, this is the trip for you. Based at the excellent Lembeh Resort, we will be diving each day, and combing a mixture of formal teaching, coaching and encouragement to help you not only get the best from your macro shots during the trip, but also to take away a bunch of new techniques for the future.
Operation Blue Pride on Kickstarter
Operation Blue Pride has taken three severely wounded combat veterans to Tiger Beach to show them the challenges that are facing the oceans and to give them a new mission: To help save those oceans. The teams are now reaching out on Kickstarter to raise the money needed to produce, distribute and market the film of the project to a global audience
EU closes finning loophole
As reported in the forums, the EU has closed a loophole that allowed crews with Special Fishing Permits (SFPs) to continue landing shark fins without the carcass. Up until now, EU vessels have been estimated to be responsible for 27% of the fins in the Hong Kong markets. (Image from Shutterstock)
- Shark Scientist: Northwest Pacific Whites Aren't Threatened or… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Nikon D600 "Dust" Service Advisory (via DivePhotoGuide)
- 62 Year-Old Albatross and Oldest Known Wild Bird Hatches Chick (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Inon Releases Macro Wet Lenses (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Highway Discovery: New Whale Species Discovered Under Freeway (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Viewpoint: Farm virus spreads to deer (via BBC)
- Explaining the Optical Low Pass Filter (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Inon seeks input into label designs for their Z240 strobe (via )
- Bees sense flowers’ electric signals (via BBC)
- Unfulfilled Expectations (via DivePhotoGuide)