Magic Lantern offers RAW recording to EOS 5D Mk III
Magic Lantern has released a continuous raw recording mode for its hack to the Canon 5D Mark III’s firmware. In testing, the camera has been outputting a 1928x850 recording at 24fps. This gives a continuous recording at a data rate to the card of 90MB/s.
Ned DeLoach presents a “fishinar” on cleaning stations
Ned DeLoach is to present a “fishinar” on (this) Wednesday 15 May at 8pm EST. The free talk, entitled “Cleanliness is next to Fishiness: All About Cleaning Stations” is free and open to anyone with web access after registration. It will feature many of Ned’s amazing behavior photographs and will have a Q&A session.
Call for entries: Oceans 13 Film Festival
The Oceans 13 Film Festival, held in conjunction with the San Diego based OCEANS 13 Conference, is soliciting entries. The Festival will be held over Sunday 22 and Monday 23 September at the Town and Country Convention Center. The venue will seat over 1,500 and has a state-of-art High Definition projection and audio system. Full entry details are on the SDUPS website and the deadline is 22 July.
Video: Tagging Giants of the Deep
Secrets of the narwhal’s tusk revealed
The function of the curious unicorn-like tusk of the Narwhal (Monodon monoceros) has long been a puzzle to researchers. However, a researcher from the Harvard School of Dental Medicine is to present a paper about the tooth’s function at the 16th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals, writes the Harvard Gazette.
Quartz claims that China is under reporting its fish catches
Quartz has claimed that China is dramatically under reporting what it takes from the world’s oceans. It submits an average annual catch total of 368,000 tons per year to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, while the European Parliament has recently put the figure at 4.6 million tons.
New product: Olympus PEN EP-5 mirrorless camera
Olympus has announced the release of a new flagship model in their PEN mirrorless range. The EP-5 features “Advanced 5-Axis Image Stabilization”, “high-speed response FAST AF” and 1/8000s maximum shutter speed. Controls can be accessed via a new “2x2 Dial Control” with a control lever which may help accessing functions in a housing and the VF-4 viewfinder is now detachable.
Pierre Carreau’s frozen wave photography
- Seabirds Rescued from Dumped Oil Additive (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Lost Antarctic penguin found in NZ (via BBC)
- Protection of the wreck of the SAS Pietermaritzburg (via African Diver)
- The failing South African Fisheries Department (via African Diver)
- Canal fish removed for lock repairs (via BBC)
- Video: Ikelite Spring Product Preview (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Photographer Stephen Frink Named “Diver of the Year” (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Rumored Specifications for Upcoming Canon 7D Mk II (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Penis size matters to female moles (via BBC)
- Dolphins ‘mimic call of companions’ (via BBC)