Battle for Big Blue app by Pharrell Williams released
In conjunction with RAW for the oceans, a denim clothing line that uses ocean plastic, Pharrell Williams has released his first video game app titled Battle for Big Blue. The app is free and the goal is to drive home the point that we need to work on keeping plastic out of our oceans.
Turquoise Bay announces film festival
Turquoise bay, Roatan is to host an underwater film festival from 9 to 16 April 2016. The event will feature seminars, an on-site contest and a gala evening. It will be hosted by cinematographer Jonathan Bird and during the week, participants will have the opportunity to dive, shoot and compete in video contests. The Best in Show film will receive the Stan Waterman Legacy award.
Book Review: Nudibranch and Sea Slug Identification - Indo-Pacific
Wetpixel reviews NewWorld Publication’s definitive new opisthobranch ID book: Nudibranch and Sea Slug Identification - Indo-Pacific by Terrence Gosliner, Ángel Valdés and David Behrens. The book offers images and description of 1,953 differs species, providing an amazing amount of information on the identity and habits of one of the macro photographer’s favorite subjects.
Sony reveals the RX1R II
Sony has announced the RX1R II full frame compact compact camera. It utilizes a back-illuminated 42.4 MP sensor with a variable optical low pass filter. Native ISO range is 100 to 25600 and output is via 14 bit RAW images. AF is using the company’s Fast Hybrid technology, incorporating both phase and contrast detection while the lens is a fixed 35mm Zeiss Sonnar f2.
Results of WPOTY 2015 announced
The results of the 2015 Wildlife Photographer of the Year (WPOTY) contest were unveiled during a ceremony at London’s Natural History Museum last night. In the Under Water category Michael Aw achieved first place with is image of a Bryde’s whale feeding on sardines during the sardine run.
Borneo from Below: Coral in crisis
Video: Earth Touch mating seahorses
Apple adds 4K support to iMovie
- Hawaii criticizes WA shark cull (via )
- 1956 message in a bottle from oceanographer just found (via )
- MV Kalabia - the floating classroom in Raja Ampat (via )
- New jellyfish species washes ashore in Tasmania (via )
- First fish removed from endangered species list (via )
- New JPG format rivals RAW for quality (via )
- Nikon looking at 4K video on its SLR cameras (via )
- The Japan Times questions the legitimacy of the Taji dolphin… (via )
- The February 2014 issue of DIVE magazine is available to download (via )
- Great Barrier Reef sediment dump approved (via )