Wetsuit patterned like lionfish to deter sharks
A company has created a wetsuit patterned like a venomous lionfish to deter sharks. Experts have doubts whether it will work.
Thresher sharks stun prey with tail slaps
A paper in the journal PLoS ONE about the hunting strategies of pelagic thresher sharks (Alopias pelagicus) has shown that the animals do use their tales to stun prey. The behavior was investigated at Pescador Island in the Philippines over 5 months in 2010, using a video camera to record the predation. (Image from Shutterstock)
Join Wetpixel in Komodo in 2014
Wetpixel is running two trips to unexplored South Komodo aboard the luxury liveaboard, The Seven Seas, in early 2014. The southern sites of Komodo National Park offer a fantastic mix of healthy coral reefs, huge schools of fish, and fascinating macro life. Wetpixel trips specialize in making the most of these stunning opportunities for photographers.
Deadline extended: SDUFEX
The 2013 San Diego Undersea Film Exhibition has extended its deadline for entries to 29 July 2013.
Rehabilitated orca spotted with calf
Springer, the Orca that was rescued and rehabilitated off the coast of Seattle in 2002, has been spotted with a calf near Vancouver Island. The sighting comes eleven years after the orphaned calf was reunited with her pod.
Divers discover ancient underwater forest
Review: Fantasea FG15 housing
Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon reviews the Fantasea FG15 housing for the Canon PowerShot G15 compact camera. This polycarbonate housing not only looks good, but also offers many features and refinements that are not on Canon’s housing for the camera.
British Underwater Photography Championship results announced
The British Society of Underwater Photographers (BSoUP) has announced the results of the annual British Underwater Photography Championship. The “splash-in” was held this weekend at the Mount Batten Center, Plymouth, UK and attracted some 25 entrants and, for a change, good weather.
- Initial Analysis of James Cameron’s Expedition Revealed (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Adobe Camera Raw turns 10 (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Shark Scientist: Northwest Pacific Whites Aren't Threatened or… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Nikon D600 "Dust" Service Advisory (via DivePhotoGuide)
- 62 Year-Old Albatross and Oldest Known Wild Bird Hatches Chick (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Inon Releases Macro Wet Lenses (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Highway Discovery: New Whale Species Discovered Under Freeway (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Viewpoint: Farm virus spreads to deer (via BBC)
- Explaining the Optical Low Pass Filter (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Inon seeks input into label designs for their Z240 strobe (via )