Behind the scenes of a single take underwater video
Champion freediver Marina Kazankova holds her breath for five minutes during this single shot underwater music video for “Lydia” by Highly Suspect. The behind the scenes video shows how the music video was shot and the feelings the band hoped to evoke from the viewers through this video.
Review: Fantasea FG7X housing
Wetpixel editor provides a review of the Fantasia FG7X housing for the Canon PowerShot G7 X compact camera. The housing was tested during the recent Wetpixel Whale Sharks expedition to Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Canon announces the EOS M3
Canon USA has announced the EOS M3 mirrorless camera. Designed for “enthusiast photographers”; it features a 24.2 megapixel APS-C sized sensor with an ISO range of 100 to 12,800 and the DIGIC 6 Image Processor. It has a 49 point hybrid AF system and front an drear control dials. The company also announced 11-22mm f4-5.6 zoom and and a 22mm f2 compact prime lens among others.
Video: Borneo from Below on Mantis Shrimp
Earth Touch: Bait Balls
New nudibranch identification book announced
New World Publications has announced the pre-release of their improved and updated book entitled Nudibranch and Sea Slug Identification - Indo Pacific. Containing over 2,248 images, the book describes 1,953 species, including many undescribed ones.
Olympus announces the OM-D E-M10 Mark II
Olympus has announced their new OM-D E-M10 Mark II mirrorless micro 4/3s camera. It features 5 axis optical stabilization and a new electronic shutter as well as an additional and redesigned control dial. The EVF has been updated and the company claims that AF accuracy has been improved.
NOAA investigates unusual number of whale deaths in Alaska
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has declared the deaths of 30 large whales in the Gulf of Alaska this summer an unusual mortality event. The unusual mortality event declaration allows NOAA to conduct a thorough investigation into the cause of death for all the whales.
- NG photo of the day Orcas by Paul Nicklen (via )
- 33 year-old orca dies after a lifetime in captivity (via )
- Japan to resume Antarctic whaling later this… (via )
- Tiger shark steals underwater camera rig (via )
- Sony releases firmware updates for α7, α7R, α7S and α6000 (via )
- Adobe Camera RAW 9.1 available (via )
- Lightroom 6 updated to version 6.1 (via )
- Deep sea corals win protection in the Atlantic (via )
- Video review of the Sony a7R II (via )
- Split shot of surfer above and photographers underwater (via )