Video: Comb Jellyfish and Pleurobranchia by Frazier Nivens
Study shows that devil rays dive deep
Dr Simon Thorrold, an ocean ecologist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute and a team have published a paper in the journal Nature Communications showing the results from tagging 15 Chilean devil rays (Mobula tarapacana) with special satellite tags. The findings include the amazing fact that they dive to depths of up to 1,848m (6,063 ft). (Image from Shutterstock)
Karen Glaser’s Springs and Swamps Series
Photographer Karen Glaser has been photographing the springs and swamps of Florida for decades. Through artist-in-residencies award programs through organizations like Big Cypress National Preserve and the Everglades National Park, Glaser has gained access to endangered fresh water springs and swamps in southern Florida.
Reports from Aquarius: Mission 31 updates
Video: Lake Baikal by Alex Benedik
Video and details on Benjamin Von Wong’s shipwreck shoot
Video: Manta Ray in 6K
[Ron Lagerlof]9http://vimeo.com/ronlagerlof) has shared some footage that he has shot for stock with Mammoth HD that has been shot in full 6K resolution on the RED EPIC Dragon. The video features giant Pacific mantas rays (Manta birostris) with clarion angelfish (Holacanthus clarionensis) cleaners. The footage was captured at The Canyon, Isla San Benedicto, Mexico.
Call for protection of the Pitcairn Islands
The BBC reports that researchers are calling for the protection of the marine environment around the mid-Pacific Pitcairn Islands. An international team of scientists have stated that the waters around the islands have “unique global value that is irreplaceable”, and that of the fish species found, about half were endemic. (Image from Shutterstock).
- NG photo of the day by Thomas Bannenberg (via )
- Rare megamouth shark caught off Japan (via )
- OnOne offers Perfect Effects 8 for free (via )
- How to edit underwater images…. (via )
- X-Ray magazine issue 60 available to download (via )
- Wolffish by David Doubilet NG photo of the day (via )
- Underwater Photography magazine issue 78 is available (via )
- Blue footed booby population declines in Galapagos (via )
- Seals in Farne Islands filmed with GoPro (via )
- Dead blue whale could explode soon (via )