Behind the Shot of the Underwater Photographer of the Year 2016 winner
Davide Lopresti just recently won the Underwater Photographer of the Year award for 2016. His enchanting photograph, Gold, of a yellow seahorse blurred against a blue background in the Gulf of Trieste, Italy took home the grand prize.
Nature Conservancy and Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation create MPA in Seychelles
The Nature Conservancy, in conjunction with the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, have created the second largest marine protected area in the West Indian Ocean. The move increases the protections in the waters surrounding the Seychelles from one percent to more than thirty percent. Image from Shutterstock.
Scientists discover how sea sapphires make themselves invisible
Sea sapphires could just be the coolest copepods you’ve ever seen (not seen) in the ocean. These creatures flash brilliant colors and then quickly move to what appears to be an invisible state. Scientists have been working to solve the trick for years.
Image: Barrel sponge with hunting fish by James Emery
Review: Fantasea FRX100 IV by Becky Kagan Schott
Video: Dive into an ocean photographer’s world by Thomas P. Peschak
Video:One Big Breath
A short film entitled One Big Breath documents former champion Philip Beauchamp’s approach and experiences of free diving and a project that uses free divers to tag sharks. Filmed using a Sony FS700 in a Amphibico Genesis housing and a Panasonic GH4 in an Aquatica AGH4 housing with underwater sequences filmed in Greece and Guadeloupe, Mexico
Tony Wu describes swimming with and photographing Orcas in Norway
Underwater photographer Tony Wu recently traveled to Norway to spend time in the water photographing killer whales. Here he discusses his experiences with the whales and his chosen life path. The video was shot by Norway’s Dagens Naeringsliv TV.
- Nikon D810 specifications and images leaked (via )
- Black Magic announces Camera Utility update to v 1.8 (via )
- Canon issues product advisory for EOS 5D Mark III (via )
- Bacteria identified in coral white band disease (via )
- Manatee cannonballers sentenced but avoid jail time (via )
- Adobe releases Lightroom 5.5 and LR Mobile 1.1 (via )
- Interview with “Shark Girl” Madison Stewart (via )
- Dolphins surfing Australian wave (via )
- Nikon D810 may be coming soon (via )
- Is this one of the best GoPro clips ever? (via )