Interview with Luis Javier Sandoval by Por el Planeta
Video: Preview of Tales by Light
A new six part series, Tales by Light, follows five world recognized travel and wildlife photographers throughout their journeys, including underwater photographer Darren Jew. The series premiered this week in Australia and is a joint effort between Canon Australia and National Geographic.
Rogue ales releases Wasted Sea Star Purple Pale Ale
Rogue Ales of Newport, Oregon has released a new pale ale, Wasted Sea Star Purple Pale Ale, to raise awareness about sea star wasting syndrome. The beer has a purple hue thanks to the use of purple corn nectar in the brew. A portion of the proceeds from the sales will go towards research conducted by Partnership for Interdisciplinary Studies of Coastal Oceans (PISCO).
Aquatica announces housing for EOS 5Ds, 5Dr and 5D Mk III
Aquatica has released details of their new housing for the Canon 5Ds, 5Dsr and 5D Mk III. The A4Dsr has improved ergonomics, a control extender arm for ISO control and an oversized, brightly colored button for record start/stop. Aquatica are offering the option of integrating Ikelite’s TTL circuitry into the housing.
Spaces available: Wetpixel Whale Sharks 2015
Wetpixel has two spaces available on their Whale Shark Expedition to Isla Mujeres this year. The trip is running from 26 July to 1 August and like our previous trips, will give the very best opportunities to snorkel and photograph large numbers of whale sharks. During the past two years trips, we have seen large numbers of manta rays too!
Video: Chris Burkard at TED
Gizmodo features deep fish collecting
Norbert Wu’s Favorite Images: My first photographs
In those week’s episode of underwater photographer Norbert Wu’s favorite images column, he tells the story of how he came to be an underwater photographer, and shows us some of the first images he took. They were shot with a Nikonos IV and feature macro images of a spotjaw blenny (Acanthemblemaria rivasi).
- US tries to salvage Antarctic research post shutdown (via )
- Robots shred jellies off Korea (via )
- Vancouver aquarium releases seal pups back into the wild (via )
- Monk seal bites triathletes in Hawaii (via )
- Shutdown threatens oceanographic research (via )
- Nikon D610 officially announced (via )
- Montserrat: An island abandoned and reclaimed by nature (via )
- Sponges allow corals to thrive in marine deserts (via BBC)
- New free Lightroom Quick Start guide available to download (via )
- Sixty new species discovered in Suriname (via )