How octopus arms stay untangled
Scientists Guy Levy and Nir Nesher of Hebrew University in Jerusalem set about getting to the bottom of an age old question: Why don’t octopus arms get tangled? Turns out the question had never been posed before and the answer was less complicated than expected. (Image from shutterstock.com)
Analysis: Olympus’s financial reports
Job opportunity: Marketing Coordinator
Lembeh and Murex Resorts in Indonesia are looking for a media savvy individual to join their team as a Marketing Coordinator. The resorts are both both located in what well be regarded as diving paradise…
Sony announces the RX100 III
Sony has announced a new version of its RX100 pro compact camera. The RX100 III has a large aperture 24-70mm Zeiss lens, with a built in OLED viewfinder. The camera has a BIONZ X processor and a clean HDMI feed out with zebra exposure patterning. Lastly, it has 5 axis image stabilization.
Nikon trails TC-14E III teleconverter
Nauticam announces their NA-D4s housing
Nauticam USA has announced Nauticam’s housing for the Nikon D4s SLR. Released in conjunction with the new housing is Nauticam’s Flash Trigger which allows (manual) strobe triggering via fiber optic with the D4. The new housing is also fitted with the electronics for the company’s vacuum system and features improved focus knobs with a higher gear ratio.
Nikon UW Speedlight 1 SB-N10 now available in US
Nikon underwater speedlight 1 SB-N10 and WP-N3 underwater housing for the Nikon 1 J4 or Nikon 1 S2 are now available in the US. Press release.
Video: Sony F55 underwater by Dan Beecham
Dan Beecham of Underwater Video Services, Cape Town, South Africa has shared some underwater footage shot with the Sony F55 camera. He has found that the ability to shoot Sony RAW without a compression ratio and its color rendering make it an excellent camera for underwater use. This is interesting, since Sony’s color rendering has been a challenge for underwater use on many of its other recent cameras.
- Over 3,000 jellyfish on display in China (via BBC)
- Citizen scientists catalog North Sea life (via BBC)
- Report finds that 85% of reefs in the coral triangle under threat (via )
- Happy World Penguin Day! (via )
- Fstoppers publishes “Creating a Successful Photography… (via )
- Issue 54 of X-Ray Magazine is available to download (via )
- New Caledonia creates shark sanctuary (via )
- Canon EOS is the number one interchangeable lens seller worldwide (via )
- Apple updates raw compatibility (via )
- Brian Lam joins a shark tagging expedition (via )