Douglas Seifert’s illustrated notes from the field: Part 4
A somewhat delayed posting of the fourth instalment of Douglas Seifert’s series of illustrated notes from the field. The “Jetties of South Australia” expedition has been diving on the jetties and has found the main objects of the trip: Leafy sea dragons (Phycodurus eques) and Striped Pyjama Squid (Sepioloidea lineolata).
Image: Riding the Waves by Ellen Cuylaerts
DEEP Indonesia 2014 Competition Announced
The prestigious DEEP Indonesia International Underwater Photo Competition is now open for entries until March 10, 2014. DEEP Indonesia is hosted by Wetpixel and Divephotoguide.
University of Miami UW Photo Contest Announced
The University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science is now accepting entries for its annual Underwater Photography Contest. The deadline for submitting images is midnight on Friday, March 7, 2014.
Beneath the Sea 2014 Winners Announced
Beneath The Sea has announced the winners of The BTS 2014 International Imaging Competition. Congratulations to all the winners, which include many from the Wetpixel community.
Bust of world’s largest whale shark processing factory
One of the largest whale shark processing factories in the world was recently uncovered in PuQi, China. Factory manager Mr. Li Guang admitted to processing more than 600 whale sharks a year at his factory. Whale sharks are listed as an endangered species.
Trip report: Wetpixel South Komodo Expedition
As I write, folks from around the world are winging their ways towards Labuan Bajo, where they will board The Seven Seas for 11 days of amazing underwater encounters and imaging opportunities. After a brief spell in port, a second group will arrive and will embark for a further 11 days. I have started a thread in the forum where we will be posting regular updates as the trips progress, please keep checking back for updates and images.
Final call: Our World Underwater 2014
This is pretty much the last call for the 2014 Our World Underwater (OWU) contest as entries close at midnight on 2 February. If you still want to enter, now is the time to do it! Our World Underwater is widely regarded as the most prestigious underwater photography contest worldwide, and offers over $50,000 in prizes so if you have an image or images that you feel could win, please go ahead and enter them now.
- Nikon releases firmware version A1.01 for D800/D800E SLRs (via )
- UK government dilutes marine protection due to cash shortage (via BBC)
- Amazing gyro-stabilized 4K aerial footage from Teton Gravity (via )
- DIVE Magazine releases its free April digital issue (via )
- Underwater photography ban in Sipadan not confirmed yet (via )
- Indonesian government plans shark and manta fishing ban (via )
- Study shows stingrays learn from their peers (via )
- Firmware updates: Panasonic has released firmware version v.1.1… (via )
- Phil Bloom reviews the Backmagic Cinema MFT camera (via )
- Call for entries: San Diego Undersea Film Exhibition 2013 (via )