Gates’s John Ellerbrock on the Sony AX100
The owner of Gates Underwater Products, John Ellerbrock, has sent us the following personal thoughts regarding a day he spent diving and testing the Sony FDR AX100 4K camcorder in one of his company’s housings.
Bird’s Head Seascape website launched
Burt Jones, Maurine Shimlock and Newmediasoup launch Bird’s Head Seascape website. The website is of particular note for scuba divers visiting Raja Ampat, Cenderawasih Bay and Triton Bay as it includes valuable information about scuba diving, sustainable tourism, news, research and conservation in the areas.
Monterey Underwater Film Festival August 9, 2014
The 2014 Monterey Underwater Film Festival is set to be held in the Golden State Theatre Saturday August 9, 2014. The film festival coincides with the Monterey Shootout and admission is included in registration. Adam Ravetch, Sylvia Earle, Cristian Dimitrius and Erick Higuera will be presenting.
Registration for the Monterey Shootout is now open
Behind the Shot: Uwe Schmolke’s Queen of Colours
Wildlife Photographer of the Year launches People’s Choice Award
The Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition 2014 has launched the first ever People’s Choice Award to celebrate the 50th year of the competition’s existence. The competition received over 41,000 entries for this year’s top wildlife photography prize. Jurors selected 50 images for the new category.
Building an underwater drone to film hippos
On an episode of Wildlife Documentaries Behind the Scenes, the Earth Touch team builds an underwater drone to film Africa’s most dangerous animal, the hippo, underwater. After assembling the unique underwater rig and testing it, the camera was brought to Botswana’s Okavango Delta to get it wet and film hippos.
Mike Veitch launches the Bali School of Underwater Photography
Wetpixel moderator Mike Veitch has announced the establishment of the Bali School of Underwater Photography. It offers a variety of classes for underwater photographers ranging from a 2 day session to complete dive safaris around Bali.
- Environmental Photographer of the Year 2013 Exhibition (via )
- Texas shark fin ban passes house and fizzles in senate (via )
- Researchers: Penguins sacrificed ability to fly for gift of… (via BBC)
- Nikon posts firmware updates for D300, D300S, D700 AND P7700… (via )
- Delaware bans shark fins (via )
- DxOMark tests lenses for the Nikon D600 (via )
- Think Tank Photo releases massive Logistics Manager 30 rolling… (via )
- Air Pacific/Fiji Air exposed as shark fin trafficker (via )
- Adobe releases Camera Raw release candidate 8.1 (via )
- Red Sea moon jelly gallery (via )