Howard Hall profiled in New Yorker
Call for entries: Big Picture 2014
The California Academy of Sciences is calling for entries to its Big Picture Natural World Photography Competition. This is offering a $5,000 cash as well as equipment prizes. Categories include Marine Mammals, Fish and Amphibians as well as Waterscapes.
Sealux announces the 4K CC1DC
Sealux has announced details of their housing for the Canon EOS 1D-C. Uniquely, the housing has a control dial on the left for zoom and one on the right for manual focus. It has three viewing windows and is compatible with Sealux’s port system.
Underwater worms by Alexander Semenov
Alexander Semenov has produced a series of underwater photographs of worms. Working over the course of ten days on two separate trips to Australia’s Great Barrier Reef and the White Sea in Northern Russia. Semenov photographed over 220 separate species of worms to produce these intriguing images.
Ikelite releases housing for Canon EOS 100D/Rebel SL1
Ikelite are shipping their housing for the EOS 100D/Rebel SL1. It is compact and features Ikelite’s signature TTL flash triggering. Port compatibility is offered for the Tokina 10-17mm (with some vignetting in the 10-12mm range), EF-S 18-55mm STM, and EF-S 60mm Macro lenses.
World Shootout call for entries
The World Shootout is calling for entries in their 2014 competition. Final deadline for competition registration and images/videos submission is July 31st, 2014.
Nikon announces the Nikon 1 V3 mirrorless camera
Nikon has announced the Nikon 1 V3 mirrorless camera. It has a 18.4-megapixel CX-format image sensor, a new EXPEED 4A image processor, 1080/60p Full HD video capabilities and can shoot at 20fps. Its ISO is 160-12,800 with high ISO noise reduction and Nikon will bundle an electronic viewfinder with the camera
Red Giant launches Universe
Red Giant has just released a new community driven site that gives access to up to 50 GPU accelerated plug-ins compatible with Adobe and Apple NLE products on Macs and Windows machines. Called Universe, and offering a free membership option that gives community input into development, it also has paid premium membership that will give access to additional plug-ins and early beta releases of new products.
- Yet more Nikon firmware updates: D3, D4, D7000, D3X, D3S and… (via )
- Lenovo releases monitor which displays 99% of Adobe RGB gamut (via )
- Nikon also updates D600 firmware to 1.01 (via )
- Nikon releases firmware version A1.01 for D800/D800E SLRs (via )
- UK government dilutes marine protection due to cash shortage (via BBC)
- Amazing gyro-stabilized 4K aerial footage from Teton Gravity (via )
- DIVE Magazine releases its free April digital issue (via )
- Underwater photography ban in Sipadan not confirmed yet (via )
- Indonesian government plans shark and manta fishing ban (via )
- Study shows stingrays learn from their peers (via )