Several bands cancel shows at Sea World because of Blackfish
Reminder: Ocean Views 2014
The annual Ocean Views contest, run jointly by DAN, Nature’s Best Photography and Wetpixel is closing for entries on 15 December. The contest is not judged in categories, in order to encourage a diverse variety of entries that depict life below, above, and around the ever-changing ocean surface.
Lemon sharks return to birthplace to give birth
Image: Nudibranch sex by William Tan
William Tab has shot this amazing and beautiful super macro image of, well, nudibranch sex! It shows the mating genitalia of two Nembrotha rutilans nudibranchs and was taken recently at Angel’s Window, Lembeh Strait, Indonesia.
An epic number of squid off Catalina
Underwater cinematographer Johnny Friday has shot some footage of squid in very large numbers off Catalina island, California.The images in his Flickr gallery were shot on the RED Epic at 5k. We can only imagine how incredible the footage shot with the EPIC Dragon sensor at 6k were.
Bite Back calendar on sale
UK based environmental charity Bite Back has released their 2014 calendar. This features underwater images donated by photographers like David Doubilet, Doug Perrine, Brian Skerry and David Fleetham. Funds from the calendar will go towards Bite-Back’s “Hacked Off!” campaign to make Britain’s restaurants shark fin-free.
Inon announces products for Canon G16 and S120 cameras
Inon has released new mount bases for the Canon S120 in the Canon WP-DC51 housing and the G16 in the WP-DC52 housing that gives both cameras compatibility with Inon’s macro and wide-angle conversion lenses.
Fantasea announces their housing for the Canon G16
Fantasea has announced their new housing for the Canon Powershot G16 compact camera. Unlike the canon housing for the same, the FG16 provides full access to all camera controls. It is also supplied with a double fiber optic port and a moisture detector as standard.
- New restrictions affect Hong Kong shark fin traders (via )
- Dr. Sylvia Earle speaks on “Quest for Sustainable Seas” at UC… (via )
- Manta trade proves that no species is safe from burgeoning… (via )
- Hundreds of sea lion pups wash ashore in California (via )
- Nikon repairs salt damaged lens by boiling it (via )
- Ocean plankton soaks up more than twice the carbon previously… (via )
- NCUPS’s SEA underwater photo and video competition is accepting… (via )
- In the forum: Dive the World Magazine closes down (via )
- The 2013 BSoUP Splash in to be held on 6 July in Plymouth, UK. (via )
- Sony releases firmware v1.10 for F5, F55 and AXA-R5 cameras.… (via )