EOS-1D C gains tier 1 EBC approval
The Canon EOS-1D C has been tested and passed European Broadcasting Union (EBU) approval for tier one HD production. It is the first SLR to provide an image of high enough quality for use as a broadcast production tool.
Call for entrants: SoCal Shootout
The annual SoCal Shootout is calling for entrants. The event will be held over this coming weekend (13-15 September) and will accept entries from any registered photographers and videographers that have been shot from south of Point Conception and north of the Mexico border. Full registration details are available on the event’s website.
NG photographer Paul Nicklen and the leopard seal
National Geographic underwater photographer Paul Nicklen’s infamous encounter with a leopard seal is going viral on the internet. Check out the video if you haven’t heard his impressive description of the encounter before.
Samy’s releases fiber optic adaptors
Samy’s Camera Underwater Photo & Video has announced the release of an adaptor for Nauticam fiber optic ports. Made by XIT404, the adapters allow the use of any cable with Nauticam housings.
Adobe introduces updates for its video editing apps
Adobe has announced a series of updates to its Creative Cloud video editing apps at the IBC show. These include a major overhaul of compatible video formats, which now include native support for 4K. The updates are “free” to Creative Cloud subscribers and will be available in October.
The Blennywatcher Diary: September 2013
During August, Ned and Anna DeLoach have been hard at work studying and cataloging the marine inhabitants of the dive sites of Bonaire. Highlights have included spawning Christmas Tree and Feather duster worms as well as lots of sightings of gobies.
Olympus launches flagship OM-D E-M1 camera
Olympus has announced details of its new OM-D E-M1 flagship mirrorless camera. It has a 16 Megapixel Live MOS sensor with version VII of the TruePic image processor and Olympus claims superior AF performance due to its DUAL FAST AF system, which uses either phase or contrast detection depending on what lens is fitted. Lastly, it has a full magnification electronic viewfinder.
Hiking an Austrian trail . . . underwater
Every summer in Tragoess, Austria snowmelt fills Green Lake lake forty-feet higher and creates an underwater hike for divers. The impossibly clear waters reveal submerged benches, trails, trees and bridges and make for a unique scuba destination.
- Background information on the “Save Vetch’s”… (via African Diver)
- Behind the Shot: Jawin’ Jawfish (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Flexible, Transparent Sensors Coming to Photography (via DivePhotoGuide)
- May the Force Be with You- Shark Defends Itself With Lightsaber… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Seine netter feud: I won’t go (via African Diver)
- Ikelite Announces New Lithium Ion Batteries and Charger (via DivePhotoGuide)
- U’Water Photography news - DUC Shootout 2013 (via African Diver)
- ‘Vampires’ attack penguin chicks (via BBC)
- Video of the Week: Lembeh Strait Critter Highlights (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Chemical link to otter penis problem (via BBC)