New study estimates manta ray tourism at $140 million
A study published in the Public Library of Science (PLOS) ONE journal has quantified the revenue that is accrued from tourism related activities associated with manta rays. In the 23 countries in which manta ray watching operations met the study’s criteria, direct revenue to dive operators from manta ray dives and snorkels is estimated at over US$73 million annually and direct economic impact, including associated tourism expenditures, at US$140 million annually.
Deepwater shark spawning ground discovered off Scotland
Scientists from Edinburgh’s Heriot-Watt University have recently discovered a deepwater shark spawning ground off the waters of Scotland. Egg cases of the blackmouth catshark (Galeus melastomus) were discovered on the Mingulay Reef, the only known coral reef in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland.
Aaron Schmidt: The basics of surf photography
New study into breath hold physiology
Aquatica announces the AD600 housing
Aquatica has announced the release of their housing for the Nikon D600 SLR. The AD600 provides access to the camera’s Fn control, which can be customized for a variety of functions, via a button on the rear. It also has a thumb lever for ISO adjustment and three ports for accessories such as monitor or vacuum bulkheads. The housing will retail at $3,199 in the U.S.A.
National Geographic establishes stock agency
Call for entries: Dive Rite annual photo contest
Santa Barbara Film Festival hosts a Tribute to Ernie Brooks
The Santa Barbara Film Festival is to host a tribute to Ernie Brooks. It will be held in the Arlington Theater in Santa Barbara on Saturday, 14 September at 7:00 PM. The program will be a benefit to raise funds for the Historical Diving Society USA and the Santa Barbara Maritime Museum.
- Whales benefit from action on noise (via BBC)
- Anti-Anxiety Drugs Change Fish Behavior (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Rare giant armadillo birth recorded (via BBC)
- Introducing Pure Apnea - a new freediving kid on the block (via African Diver)
- Rescued oil birds set to be released (via BBC)
- VIDEO: Dolphins surprise tourist boat (via BBC)
- Our World Underwater 2013 Coverage (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Seals judge size using whiskers (via BBC)
- Video of the Week: Indonesia's Raja Ampat (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Reward after buzzards shot dead (via BBC)