A synopsis of the CES show 2014
Monday was the first day of the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Nevada. There were announcements of new products from many imaging equipment manufacturers including Nikon, Sony and Panasonic, including a new pro SLR from Nikon.
Tony Wu on trash
Study shows coral adapts to acidification
A team from the Woods Hole Institute has discovered a coral reef ecosystem that has adapted to very acidic water conditions in Nikko Bay, Palau. This gives hope that coral may be able to evolve to cope with effects of increasing acidification of the planet’s oceans. (Image from Shutterstock).
Image: Fish fireworks by Jennifer Penner
Happy New Year 2014
We hope that wherever you are and whatever you are doing, you are not like this “grumpy” stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa) and are enjoying the last day of 2013 or the first day of 2014. May your celebrations be joyous and we fervently hope that 2014 brings you safe diving and and amazing photographic opportunities.
Gates announces DEEP DRAGON
Gates Underwater Products has announced the release of their housing for the RED EPIC DRAGON digital cinema camera. The Gates DEEP DRAGON features a housing for the RED PRO external monitor and uses the REDMOTE remote control to give access to all camera controls. In addition, it can be supplied with integrated tripod legs, an extended monitor shade and a light bar to attach light arms.
Upgrade guide: Final Cut Pro 10.1
As announced and discussed on the Wetpixel forums, Apple released a long-awaited update to Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) just before Christmas. Version 10.1 is a free update for those that have already purchased the App, and is available via the App Store or via the Apple FCP support pages.
Guam’s Hidden Treasures book available
- The 2013 BSoUP Splash in to be held on 6 July in Plymouth, UK. (via )
- Sony releases firmware v1.10 for F5, F55 and AXA-R5 cameras.… (via )
- PEW sets out the case for a marine reserve off East Antarctica (via )
- Tokina to ship new AT-X 12-28mm f4 PRO DX lens from April 2013. (via )
- Anger grows as a shark being used by Kmart in an advert dies. (via BBC)
- Nikon updates Capture NX, Camera Control Pro and more (via )
- Palau’s President proposes no commercial fishing in island’s… (via )
- Carl Safina writes about the politics of shark protection at… (via )
- Free Actual Pixels app allows viewing of images at 100% on iOS… (via )
- How pro photographers view pro SLRs (via )