The 2015 Ocean Views entry deadline is soon
Video: Borneo From Below Episode 18
Borneo From Below episode 18 is now online. This week the episode features Scubazoo’s senior cameraman Chris Tan. The episode is titled, “A Day in the Life of an Underwater Cameraman,” and focuses on what it takes to do this job for a living.
Rumour: Nikon is purchasing Samsung
Petapixel reports on a rumour that Nikon has bought Samsung’s imaging technology. Recently, Samsung has been withdrawing its imaging products from European markets. The unconfirmed story is that Nikon will use Samsung’s NX resources to build mirrorless cameras that may rival Sony’s offerings. (Image from Petapixel).
Anonymous attacks Icelandic whaling
Video: Encounter with a Nautilus
NOAA reopens Florida shark fishery
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has decided to open commercial shark fishing at Jupiter, Florida. This targets all species of shark found in the area, including lemon (Negaprion brevirostris), tiger (Galeocerdo cuvier), and hammerhead (Sphyrna mokarran) sharks. It is perhaps important to note that NOAA has not proposed any form of catch limit on the fishery, nor any measures to prevent the commercial fishing of shark protected by CITES.
Tutorials available for Photoshop 2015.1 release
Adobe Creative Cloud subscribers that update their copies of Photoshop to the new 2015.1 version released today will notice a significant change in how the app looks. By default, it now opens with a new start workspace. In addition, opening a new file will now open the recent files workspace. 2015.1 also offers the option of customizing the toolbar by removing tools (and their shortcuts) that are used infrequently.
Bird’s Head Seascape posts Natural History Notes
The Bird’s Head Seascape has posted the first of a series of Natural History Notes. Written by Dr. Richard Smith, the post discusses damselfish (Pomacentridae). He notes :”Around two hundred and fifty species, three quarters of the world’s damsels, are known to live in the Indo-West Pacific.”
- The February 2014 issue of DIVE magazine is available to download (via )
- Great Barrier Reef sediment dump approved (via )
- Olympus releases firmware version 2.0 for OM-D E-M5 (via )
- NRDC goes to court over Navy sonar testing (via )
- NG photo of walrus underwater (via )
- U.S. ambassador decries Taiji dolphin hunt (via )
- 8 pilot whales die after swimming into shallow Fla waters (via )
- US Ambassador “deeply concerned” about dolphin killings at… (via )
- Adobe leaks Lightroom mobile App (via )
- Blackmagic Design updates DaVinci Resolve to 10.1 (via )