DivePhotoGuide presents Originals
Norbert Wu reviews fins
Underwater photographer and filmmaker Norbert Wu, in conjunction with Wetpixel, has written a personal comparative review of many of the fins available for use by underwater image makers. Although not exhaustive, and by his own admission somewhat subjective, this is the first time that a serious attempt has been made to compare different fins and their suitability for use when diving for images.
Results of Nauticam China Online Competition announced
The results of the Nauticam China Online Underwater Photography Competition have been announced. From April to July, Chinese underwater photographers submitted a portfolio to a public voting and a panel of 5 judges. Many congratulations to Jim Chen of Taiwan for his award of first prize, and furthermore to all the other people in the placings.
Nikon issues service advisory for D810
Nikon has issued a service advisory for the newly released D810 SLR. Certain serial numbers of the camera are having issues with “bright spots” appearing in images while shooting long exposures. Nikon has identified the problem: “We have determined that some noise (bright spots) may on occasion be noticeable when shooting long exposures, and in images captured at an Image area setting of 1.2× (30×20)”.
Announcing the SoCal Shootout
The 2014 SoCal Shootout will be held from 12 to 14 September. Geographically, images have to be captured “in the Pacific Ocean anywhere south of Pt. Conception to north of the Mexican border to be eligible”. There are multiple entry categories.
2014 Monterey Shootout winners announced
Recsea announces housing for Sony RX100 III
Recsea has announced their housing for the Sony RX100 III compact camera. It is constructed of anodized aluminum and provides access to both front and rear command dials on the camera. The rear command dial also has a push button function for accessing the center button.
Sea&Sea unveils their housing for the Sony RX100 III
Sea&Sea has announced their new housing for the Sony DSC-RX100 III compact camera. The MDX RX-100 III is made of aluminum and allows the camera’s internal flash to be both activated and used to trigger external strobes via fiber optic connections. It will also allow the camera’s LCD to be set at a 10° angle.
- Rehab of the GOM ongoing almost 3 years post Deepwater Horizon (via )
- Evidence of Lionfish from New York to Venezuela (via )
- Offshore drilling ceased in Belize (via )
- The top 5 new features in the Lightroom 5 beta (via )
- Review: GoPro HERO3 black on HD Magazine (via )
- Puerto Rico protects leatherback turtle nesting sites (via BBC)
- Maryland set to ban shark fin trade (via )
- Lion Air flight misses runway in Denpasar, Bali - no life… (via )
- Australia takes Japan to international court over whaling (via BBC)
- Philippines charges Chinese fishermen over reef crash (via BBC)