Final call: British Wildlife Photographer Awards
The British Wildlife Photographer Awards (BWPA) are making a final call for entries for their 2014 contest. Categories include “Marine and Coast”, and in previous years, underwater photographers have done well in the “Animal Portraits” category too. Entries must have been taken in the United Kingdom.
Review: CM custom strobe diffusers
Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon presents a review of CM custom strobe diffusers. These provide smooth even illumination and a superb quality of light, and are available for many popular strobes. Adam used both wide-angle and macro versions extensively during the review
Image: Lionfish in glassfish school
Seacam announces new macro port and lens
Seacam USA has officially announced the release of their new macro port and wet macro lens. The MIP80 port is designed to have a narrow lens, allowing easier lighting positioning for subjects close to it. The MIP1 macro lens attached to the port via a friction o ring, and gives approximately 2 X magnification. A lens caddy is available for the lens.
Trailer for Louie Psihoyos’ new documentary ‘6’
Oscar winner Louie Psihoyos, best known for his 2009 documentary The Cove, has directed a new documentary titled ‘6’. This newest film focuses on endangered species and mass extinction. The trailer has just been released and the full documentary will be released to theaters later this year.
Recsea announces housing for Sony AX100
Recsea has announced the release of an aluminum housing for the Sony AX100 4K camcorder. It utilises LANC control via a right hand grip to give access to all camera functions and can be fitted with an external monitor or Inon 45° viewfinder.
Peter Scoones: 1937 - 2014
Underwater cameraman and innovator, Peter Scoones, passed away earlier this week. Colin Doeg, who co founded BSoUP with Peter in 1967, has graciously written a tribute to him, which we publish in full. Our thoughts go out to his family and loved ones.
When the ocean gets loud, fish get louder
A study published this month in Behavioral Ecology illustrates how fish (blacktail shiners) adapt to the acoustic noise in their environments by increasing the volume of the noises they make.
- Firmware updates: Panasonic has released firmware version v.1.1… (via )
- Phil Bloom reviews the Backmagic Cinema MFT camera (via )
- Call for entries: San Diego Undersea Film Exhibition 2013 (via )
- Hugyfot releases new housings for Nikon D600 and Sony Action Cam (via )
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro X to 10.0.8 (via )
- Behance ProSite has been added to Adobe’s Creative Cloud (via )
- Photoshelter and the ASMP present a photographer’s guide to… (via )
- ASMFC seeks to allow shark finning in US waters (via )
- The Natural History Museum launches Deep Sea ID iPhone and iPad… (via )
- DPReview posts a review of the Sony NEX-6 mirrorless camera (via )