Article shows hope for coral reefs
The BBC Earth section has posted an extended article about coral regeneration after bleaching events. Entitled ” The corals that came back from the dead”, the article talks about the “Phoenix Effect” which was first described in 1992 by David Krupp. It describes a process whereby corals can regrow from a small fragment of life after a sea temperature rise. Up until now, this has been observed only in disk corals, but the articles cites Peter Mumby’s experience with Porites sp corals in Rangiroa lagoon, French Polynesia.
INON unveils LF1100-W LED light
Inon has announced the LF1100-W LED light. The new light is the first wide version in the LF series with a maximum output of 1100 lumens and an angle of 85 degrees. The light uses 3 AA batteries. The light is native 5000K and can also be used as a dive light with its low mode setting.
Ikelite announces housing for Canon G7
Ikelite has announced their new housing for the Canon PowerShot G7 X compact camera. Constructed of the company’s signature clear acrylic, the housing features 67mm accessory lens threads and two fiber optic ports. Alternatively, the housing can be teamed up with Ikelite’s own AF35 optical TTL strobe.
Manta ray images required for science
The Marine Megafauna Foundation is asking citizen scientists and photographers to submit their images of reef manta rays (Manta alfredi) to its Manta Matcher database. This is in an effort to support additional protection for the species by getting them included onto the Conservation for Migratory Species listing.
Report: El Hierro Fotosub
The El Hierro Fotosub contest was held from 11 to 19 October on the island of El Hierro, Spain. Photosub contests are “splash in” style contests that concentrate on the images that are produced in camera. Carlos Villoch writes that “the winning team was led by last year’s CMAS Spain Champion Marc Gimenez with the second placed team led by CMAS World Champion David Barrio.”
Ikelite announces tray with dual release handles
Canon announces EOS C100 Mark II
Canon has announced the second generation of its EOS C100 digital video camera. It features AVCHD and MP4 1920x1080/60p recording, uncompressed YCbCr output from HDMI, a 3.5-inch 1.23 megapixel OLED display panel, Dual Pixel CMOS AF and the new DIGIC DV4 image processor.
Tony Wu in Outdoor Photographer
- Panasonic updates 12-35mm f2.8 X lens to firmware version 1.2 (via )
- Nikon announces 1 system 32mm f1.2 lens (via )
- Zombie worms feast on whale bones (via )
- Senegal begins marine conservation project (via BBC)
- Atmospheric CO2 reaches 400 parts per million (via BBC)
- More information about possibilities for Lightroom and the… (via )
- Call for entries: 2013 National Geographic Traveller photo… (via )
- New nudibranch, crinoid and amphipods discovered in Madang… (via )
- Lundy Island, UK hosts splash-in photographic contest (via )
- NHK and Mitsubishi develop H.265 encoder for 8K video (via )