Video: Mark Erdman on species diversity
Dr Mark Erdmann is a coral reef ecologist and senior advisor for Conservation International-Indonesia’s marine program. During ADEX 2014, Mark presented a talk about the richness of the South East Asian marine environment entitled, “Extreme biodiversity: In search of Indonesia’s marine biodiversity epicentre.”
Winners of University of Miami underwater photo contest announced
The winners of this year’s University of Miami Underwater Photography contest have been announced. Congratulations to all the winners!
Seacam reinvents the Nikonos RS 13mm
At the recent ADEX show, Seacam owner Harald Hordosch was displaying a converted Nikonos RS 13mm lens on his stand. The company is re-housing the lens and using the original glass as a lens port.
Video: Darren Jew, underwater photographer and Canon master
Show coverage: ADEX 2014
ADEX is Asia’s largest underwater and diving exhibition. Located in the Marina Bay Sands Expo center, Singapore, the show attracts attendees and exhibitors from all over Asia. As is frequently the case, underwater imaging is well represented at the show with stands from major brands as well as local retailers. Wetpixel is on site and posting “live” coverage.
Video: Anchovy fireworks underwater
In this clip from the MacGillivray Freeman IMAX film Journey to the South Pacific, the filmmakers capture an impressive underwater show by a school of anchovy.
Wetpixel @ ADEX 2014
The annual Asian Dive Exhibition (ADEX) kicks off on Friday 11 April at the iconic Marina Bay Sands, Singapore. ADEX has a reputation for being the Far East’s major annual dive show and hence, Wetpixel will be there reporting on the products and events on display in our usual “live” way. Please keep checking back here for updates. In addition, Wetpixel and Scubacam are hosting the ADEX imaging party, which is being held at ME@OUE on the evening of the first day. If you are in Singapore, please come along, say hi and have a drink with us!
Video: Rare oarfish filmed in Baja, Mexico
On a Shedd Aquarium trip to Baja, Mexico last month two rare 15-foot oarfish (Regalecus glesne) were filmed swimming in the shallows. Oarfish are deepwater fish and rarely venture close to shore.
- James Cameron’s submersible donated to Woods Hole (via BBC)
- Camera lost at sea for six years is reunited with its owner (via )
- Thom Hogan reviews the Sony NEX-6 camera (via )
- DxOMark scores lenses for Nikon D800. Nikon 16-35mm f4 rated… (via )
- Canon Singapore offers a try before you buy scheme for EF and… (via )
- Amazing image of an tardigrade extremophile (or water bear) (via BBC)
- Adobe suggests customers should fly to the US to get better… (via )
- Possibly the strangest camera review ever! The Fuji x100 walks… (via )
- CNN: Overfished and under-protected; oceans on the brink of… (via )
- DeepX and 3Deep housings nominated for best innovations in film… (via )