The most viral GoPro photo to date is of a Great White Shark
Elementary school teacher and South Africa shark tour intern, Amanda Brewer recently shot the most viral GoPro photo to date. The image is of a Great White Shark emerging from the water outside of a shark cage. The capture was selected as one of GoPro’s Photos of the Day, and went viral from there.
Last few spaces on Wetpixel Ultimate Tiger Sharks available
We have a few spaces available for the Wetpixel Ultimate Tiger Sharks trip. The trip us running from 4 to 10 January 2015 and is based in Freeport, Bahamas. Reports from Tiger Beach for this season suggest that the sharks are numerous and approachable, so it look like we will have some amazing photO opportunities.
NOAA uses drone to study orcas
NOAA has teamed up with the Vancouver Aquarium to capture aerial images of a group of Northern Resident orcas in British Columbia with a UAV. This population is threatened and feeds on salmon in the area, which is in itself threatened. (Photo credit: NOAA, Vancouver Aquarium.)
Image: Doto and the sun by Ajiex Dharma
Ajiex Dharma has posted this stunning image of a Dendronotid nudibranch (Dendronotid sp.) onto the Wetpixel Facebook group. Perhaps even more noteworthy is that he captured it with a Canon S120 compact camera in a Canon WP-DC51 polycarbonate housing equipped with an Inon Micro Fisheye lens.
CBS moment in nature with sea lions by Lance Milbrand
Image: Cuddling seahorses by Marco Bebi
Recsea announces CWS housings for Sony RX100 series
Recsea has announced the release of their CWS housings for the Sony RX100 and RX100 II. Both are manufactured from machined POM and acrylic, giving a lower price point than aluminum equivalents. Recsea will also offer up/downgrade kits so that users can switch between RX100 and RX100 II cameras in the same housing.
Sea & Sea announces the YS-03 universal lighting system
Sea & Sea has released their universal YS-03 strobe system. The strobe is TTL with a 100 degree beam angle and takes 4 AAA batteries. The lighting system will be available in early November 2014 at a suggested retail price of $350 US.
- Wetpixel review of Nikon 810 on Nikon Rumors (via )
- NG photo of the day by Shane Gross (via )
- Camera RAW 8.7 Release Candidate available on Adobe Labs (via )
- Underwater landslide and earthquake triggered 2011 tsunami (via )
- 5 swimmers pulled from water after encounter with aggressive… (via )
- October issue of DIVE magazine available to download (via )
- Incredible close-up drone footage of a volcano in Iceland (via )
- 35,000 walrus come ashore in NW Alaska (via )
- Panasonic releases firmware update for GH4 (via )
- Silent divers count more fish (via )