Image: Barrel sponge with hunting fish by James Emery
Review: Fantasea FRX100 IV by Becky Kagan Schott
Video: Dive into an ocean photographer’s world by Thomas P. Peschak
Video:One Big Breath
A short film entitled One Big Breath documents former champion Philip Beauchamp’s approach and experiences of free diving and a project that uses free divers to tag sharks. Filmed using a Sony FS700 in a Amphibico Genesis housing and a Panasonic GH4 in an Aquatica AGH4 housing with underwater sequences filmed in Greece and Guadeloupe, Mexico
Tony Wu describes swimming with and photographing Orcas in Norway
Underwater photographer Tony Wu recently traveled to Norway to spend time in the water photographing killer whales. Here he discusses his experiences with the whales and his chosen life path. The video was shot by Norway’s Dagens Naeringsliv TV.
Ikelite announces housing for Sony Alpha a7 cameras
Ikelite has released their housing for the Sony Alpha a7, a7R, a7S mirrorless digital cameras. The housing uses the new characteristic Ikelite white and clear polycarbonate and acrylic materials and provides camera specific TTL encoding for automatic exposure. MSRP is $1500 US.
Gates announces housing for Canon C300 Mark II
Gates Underwater Products has announced their housing for the Canon EOS C300 Mark II camera. It is lightweight and compact and offers support for both EF and PL mount Canon lenses. The housing utilizes Gates’s Port system and is supplied with a housing for the Transvideo StarliteHD OLED field monitor.
Live updates: Wetpixel Bahama Shark Expedition
Wetpixel is currently in the Bahamas diving with greater hammerhead sharks (Sphyrna mokarran) and tiger sharks (Galeocerdo cuvier) with Epic Diving’s. Internet connection depending (!) we will be adding updates here as the trip progresses. The Bahamas is unique in having an amazing resident population of big sharks!
- Nikon updates ViewNX-i to 1.1.0 and Capture NX-D to 1.3.0 (via )
- Nikon D4s “C” firmware updated to version 1.30 (via )
- Nikon updates D750 “C” firmware to 1.10 (via )
- Rare sea turtle found in Northern California river (via )
- Adobe updates Camera Raw to 9.3 (via )
- Sea lion rides a whale in Baja (via )
- Blackmagic Design updates DaVinci Resolve to 12.1 (via )
- MIT physicist and underwater photographer collaborate (via )
- Wolf split shot by Ian McAllister (via )
- Nikon updates D810 C firmware to 1.10 (via )