GIMP seeks funding
Open source image editing application GIMP is seeking funding from its user community. Up until now, Øyvind Kolås, the main driver behind the forthcoming 2.10 update to the app has been living off his savings whilst doing the development work. Although the GIMP app will remain free, users are being encouraged to help support the work on the updates by contributing on Kolås’ Patreon page.
Paper describes seal whisker sensory ability
MindShift Gear First Light camera rucksacks
MindShift Gear has updated the information about their First Light series of camera backpacks. These three models have the advantage of being carry-on compatible, and also have proper rucksack frames and carrying systems. This should help ease the strain of humping heavy bags around airports.
Late Availability: Dominica Sperm Whales with Keri Wilk
Wetpixel’s friend, underwater photographer and all-round good guy Keri Wilk has a few late availability spots open for his annual Dominica sperm whale trips. Interacting with sperm whales (Physeter macrocephalus) is strictly controlled by permit on the island and Keri has 3 of them! If you want to document these amazing creatures, this is an amazing opportunity.
Lexi Thompson recreates Muhammad Ali’s famous underwater photo
Golfer Lexi Thompson posed for some underwater photographs and simultaneously channeled Muhammad Ali. Photographer Al Bello recreated Flip Shulke’s 1961 underwater image of Ali with the female golfer in December. Ali passed away last year and on tuesday, he would have turned 75.
CrumplePop announces EasyTracker
Crumplepop has released a plugin called EasyTracker for Final Cut Pro X. It allows the insertion of text or graphics that will follow an object’s motion within the frame into a video sequence.
Nauticam ships housing for Sony a6500
Join us! Wetpixel Whale Sharks 2017
Wetpixel returns to Isla Mujeres in August 2017 to observe and document the amazing whale shark (Rhincodon typus) aggregation. One of nature’s most amazing and unique events, hundreds of whale sharks gather each year to feed on eggs spawned by bonito (Euthynnus alletteratus) off the island. Join us to witness this amazing spectacle.
- Unraveling the mysteries of Great White Sharks (via )
- Watch a video tour of iPhone 7’s new camera features (via )
- Canon updates 7D Mark II firmware to v.1.1.0 (via )
- Photos show one of the largest lakes disappearing (via )
- The world’s first underwater portrait was taken in 1899 (via )
- iPhone 7 reported to be waterproof (via )
- Photos of hermit crabs with beach trash homes (via )
- Instagram adds pinch and zoom to photos (via )
- Underwater expedition off California reveals sunken warship (via )
- Canon announces firmware upgrade for EOS 1D X Mark II. (via )