Asian Diver has acquired the Asian Dive Expo (ADEX) and will take over from TMX Productions in 2010. It seems the publication has come full circle, since it was the magazine that started ADEX in 1994.
The brand new Asia Dive Expo, organised “by divers, for divers”, will now take place at Suntec Convention Centre in Singapore from 9-11 April 2010.
Staged annually, ADEX is the region’s longest running dive show (turning sweet 16 in 2010) and a must-attend event on the international dive calendar! ADEX attracts exhibitors representing the whole spectrum of the dive industry (Dive equipment manufacturers and retailers, Tourist boards and travel agents, Dive centres, Dive resorts and liveaboards, Underwater photography retailers, Diver training agencies, Marine conservation groups, Dive media and associations). In recent years, the ADEX exhibitors represented 23 countries and the visitor numbers exceeded 10,200.
ADEX 2010 will feature 100+ exhibition booths, presentations from inspiring dive professionals and industry leaders, fascinating underwater videos, marine-themed photography and art displays, plus prizes to be won in our special underwater competitions.
Recent updates and event highlights:
ADEX 2010 Voice of the Ocean competition: - This competition is split into 4 categories to give everyone a chance to get involved and entry is free of charge but entrants are limited to 3 submissions per category (photo, video, art). Categories: Photographer of the Year, Underwater Video of the Year, Ocean Artist of the Year and Young Artist of the Year. - Full competition details and rules are online and the submission deadline is Sunday 28th February. Visit http://www.asiandiver.com/voice-of-the-ocean.phtml for more details now!
Best in Class nominations: - In appreciation for all those individuals and companies who go the extra mile, the ADEX 2010 ‘Best in Class’ nominations have been designed for individuals to vote for their favourite candidates in 2 categories. Voters can choose to either nominate an individual (dive instructor, dive guide, DM etc) … or a company (dive centre, dive resort, liveaboard etc) … or both! The finalists will be announced on the website and the winners will be revealed during ADEX on the main stage! - HOW TO VOTE: Just go to the website, scroll down to the end of the page and fill in the nomination form! - HOW TO GET VOTES FOR YOURSELF OR YOUR COMPANY: Why not email or facebook/twitter your clients and customers and ask them to vote for you? How about putting a link on your email signature or an advert on your webpage? - Best in Class” voting is online here; http://www.asiandiver.com/best-in-class.phtml
ADEX 2010 Dedicated to SHARKS:
- For our first year running the Asia Dive Expo, we’re celebrating and supporting SHARKS, dedicating a large part of the ADEX 2010 agenda to these majestic but threatened species.
- Presentation topics on the main stage will focus on both the excitement of diving with sharks and the urgent need for shark conservation, especially as it relates to the inhumane practice of shark fining.
- Visit ADEX in April at Suntec Singapore to add your voice to the growing movement of individuals, divers and non-divers alike, who want to change the way people view sharks. We are planning a number of activities around our shark theme, from expert presentations to interactive anti-shark fin soup features.
- So join us at ADEX to show your concern, find out how you can personally contribute to the cause and leave the expo inspired by examples of worldwide shark projects that are making a difference!
AGS Shark Short Stories:
- The Asian Geographic Society is organizing an educational booth at the Asia Dive Expo to promote SHARKS. They need your help!
- Have you got an interesting story about a shark encounter? Do you dream of one day swimming with the largest fish in the sea? Perhaps you boast to friends about a thrilling dive with an apex predator. Or plan your dive trips to seek out a specific species. If so, why not put pen to paper for the AGS writing assignment, in support of their shark conservation campaign?
- Please submit your Shark Short Story (word limit of 500) using the form online (see web link below). All entries submitted by 12th March 2010 stand a chance to be included in the AGS campaign materials. Submissions can still be sent in after that date but there won’t be time to include them in the display feature.
- Even if you don’t submit an entry, the AGS team hope to meet you at their booth during ADEX 2010, where a selection of the most impressive short stories will be on display.
- The “AGS Shark Short Stories” submission form is online here; http://asiangeographic.org/shark-short-stories.phtml
ADEX 2010 Speakers (just to name a few):
- Stan Waterman, scuba diving pioneer, photographer, filmmaker, lecturer, author, producer, documentarian, recipient of numerous awards and living legend
- Shawn Heinrichs, conservation photojournalist and founder & executive producer of Blue Sphere Media
- Todd Essick, freelance photojournalist and underwater photographer
- John “Chip” Scarlett, award-winning underwater photographer (who will launch his first photo-book, Loving Sharks, at ADEX 2010)
- Diego Garcia, editor of Scuba Diver AustralAsia and documentary filmmaker
- Aaron Wong, underwater photographer and regular contributor to Asian Diver and field editor of Scuba Diver AustralAsia
- Mathieu Meur, underwater photographer and regular contributor to Asian Diver and field editor of Scuba Diver AustralAsia
- Richard Ng, underwater photographer and celebrity radio DJ
- Nadine Chandrawinata , Miss Universe Indonesia 2006 and ocean ambassador for the Asian Geographic Society