As their existing housing for the Nikon D3 series did not give full functionality for the D3S, Aquatica has gone back to the drawing board, and produced a whole new model. This redesign features the relocation and addition of some controls, particularly those for the cameras video features, and larger more tactile control knobs have been added for better feel in cold water. In addition, a new manufacturing process has allowed the weight to be reduced by 20%. The new housing will fit the D3X and D3 cameras as well as the D3s, and the new housing back can be retrofitted to existing D3 housings.
Aquatica is proud to announce that it is now shipping its new redesigned housing for the Nikon D3 generation of cameras, long a standard with our professional underwater photographer, the D3 Nikon and its housing could only accept the newer D3s with limited capabilities, this newer housing version of the Nikon’s D3 battleship line of cameras will now accept all of the versions (D3s/D3x/D3). Aside from relocating some controls for better ergonomics and accessing the video feature, the housing has gone on a diet and has lost a substantial amount of weight, this is due to our new computer assisted 5 axis machine, a technology gives us unprecedented control over the machining process and the result is a much improved placement of the strategic material needed in the construction of the housing and precise removal of the excess one. A 20% weight reduction of the housing shell was possible, and this without sacrificing the robustness or depth rating that our housing are famous for.
With the arrival of the D3s came the video feature and the best ISO performance ever seen in a camera, it was thus very important that the redesign take these feature into account and made every possible effort to position them as comfortable as could be made, being very concerned with the legacy of its housings, especially for such high end cameras as the D3 generation, we had to make sure that not only did the new version accept the older Nikon D3x and D3, but that the redesigned back could be fitted on our older D3 housings given an extended life span to these already excellent housings.
As is usual with all ours Pro housings, a super sensitive moisture alarm with visual and audio warning is included and installed at the factory.
Redesigned and added controls include the following:
- Set/record lever: relocated to an easy accessible position due to its vital role when shooting video.
- Live View button: added is an oversized Live View access button located right under the Set/Record lever for a quick and precise reaction sequence when shooting video.
- AF-L/AE-L lever: Now a vastly improved version of the lever with a locking collar to eliminate the tendency of the lever to be pushed back in by the ambient water pressure when working at depth.
- Info button: Newly added on the D3s, this button is now fully accessible via a conveniently angled push button.
- Focus/Zoom control knob assembly: Aside from sporting an oversized indented knob for better feel in all water condition, the internal mechanism has been totally redesigned, this newer and ingenious assembly actually can be lifted up to get the pinion gear out of the way so that the camera and lens (with zoom/focus gear attached) can slide out quickly out for swift replacement of the battery. (CF card do not require the camera to come out of the housing).
- Controls knobs: all knobs are of the newer design, oversized and knurled to give a positive feel to them even with the thickest of cold water gloves.
- Bulkhead connectors circuitry: Here is a big change, hardly noticeable from the exterior, the newer generation of bulkheads connectors assembly has been implemented on this housing, based on a simple internal switchboard, the connectors configuration can be switched from the classic straight manual favored by many pros to a fully TTL compatible connector that will be ready to accept a third party TTL converter or housed Nikon flash.
- The bulkheads connectors: These too have evolved and it is no longer a complicated affair to remove or replace them, the connector are supplied with mini plug that connect to the circuit board inside, just remove the small plug from the circuit, remove the retaining collar O-ring and pull out the connectors, reinsert the newer or different type of connector, reinstall the collar O-ring and plug into the circuit board a quick dunk test and off you go, hours of work have been converted into minutes, this simple yet sturdy and reliable approach makes field maintenance a breeze, always a welcome thing for a working professional.
Dimension and weight with grips attached:
Width: 14”/ 35.5cm X Height: 8.75”/ 22.2cm X Depth: 6.25” / 15.75cm Weight: 8.25lbs / 3.75kg
Dimension and weight without grips attached:
Width: 10.5”/ 26.5cm X Height: 8.75”/ 22.2cm X Depth: 6.25” / 15.75cm Weight: 7.3lbs / 3.25kg
For more information, please contact Aquatica via email