Full results of the 2011 Beneath the Sea photo and video competition have been announced. The David Doubilet grand prize for best in show in photography was awarded to Keri Wilk, for his image Flying Fish. In the Jim Church creative category, Heru Suryoko received first place for Bait Attack, and Edward Snijders was awarded the Stan Waterman award for his video, Dutch Estuary.
All the winners images and videos are or will be available shortly on the Beneath the Sea website. As always, many congratulations to all the winners, and especially to the many Wetpixel members in the placings. The show is being held at Meadowlands Exposition Center, Secaucus, New Jersey from March 25 to 27, 2011.
The Best in Show-Underwater Photography receives the David Doubilet award for excellence in underwater photography. The grand prize is a ten night stay at Wakatobi Dive Resort in Southeast Sulawesi, Indonesia including all meals and diving. This year’s winner is:
- Flying Fish, Keri Wilk, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
- WWII Japanese Fighter, Lucas Price , Seattle, WA.
HON Fisheye Macro, Patrick Nuemann , Niederkassel, Germany.
HON Sperm Whale Smile, Scott Portelli, Ultimo, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
- Beluga, Patrick Torresan, Chatillon (Aosta), Italy.
- Squid Party, Christopher Guglielmo, Miami Lakes, FL.
- Flying Octopus, Elmer Yu, Wilmington, DE.
HON Grinning Gator, Andrew Sallmon, San Diego, CA.
HON Dwarf Minke Whale, Matt Curnock, Townsville, Queensland, Australia.
HON Seal In Kelp, Adam Hanlon, Heysham, Lancashire, UK.
HON Family Portrait, Rinie Luykx, Sint Willebrord, Noord Brabant, Netherlands.
HON Guadalupe Grande, Erin Quigley, Los Angeles, CA.
- Togetherness, Tobias Friedrich, Wiesbaden, Germany.
- Follow me, Luc Eeckhaut, Rumbeke, Belgium.
- Mr. Goby, Steve De Neef, Merksem, Antwerp, Belgium.
HON Gambero della Nacchera, Gabriele Donati, Siena, Italy.
HON Pegasus, Matthias Blaettler, Quartino, Switzerland.
HON Sargassum Frogfish Reflection, Christopher Guglielmo, Miami Lakes, FL.
HON The Golden Stare, Csaba Tokolyi, Budapest, Hungry.
- Jelly Rider, Dany Weinberg, Eilat, Israel.
- The Hunt, Luc Eeckhaut, Rumbeke, Belgium.
- Carwash, Luc Eeckhaut, Rumbeke, Belgium.
HON Threesome, Markus Roth, Pulheim, Germany.
HON Adam Duszczyk, Warsaw, Poland.
HON Love Story, Kaido Haagen, Leppneeme, Estonia.
HON Choco No Sushy, Mario Serodio, Azeitao, Portugal.
HON Grouper wih Grunt, Michael Whitlow, New York, New York.
- Sings Of Fight, Claudio Gazzaroli, Ascona Switzerland.
- The Corals Nightmare, Guillaume Roland, Montigny Le Bretonneux, France.
HON Hooked, Wayne MacWilliams, Jupiter, FL.
HON Shark Wrap, Don Hughes, Stewartville, MN.
HON Reef Shark Hook, Constance Zeckendorf, New York, NY.
NOVICE/POINT & SHOOT.
- Barracuda Shoal, Leena Roy , Basingstoke, Hants United Kingdom.
- Manatee, Leena Roy , Basingstoke, Hants United Kingdom.
- Feather Duster Worm Radioles, Donna Goodwin, Birmingham, AL. HON Black Grouper and Yellow Sponges, Donna Goodwin, Birmingham, AL.
The Best in Show-Underwater Creative Photography receives the Jim Church award for excellence in underwater creative photography. The grand prize is a week aboard either the The Bilikiki or The Spirit of the Solomons in the Solomon Islands. This year’s winner is:
- Bait Attack, Heru Suryoko, Tangerang, Banten, Indonesia.
- Dugongo Elephantus, Thomas Heckmann, Gelsenkirchen, Germany.
The Best in Show-Videography receives the Stan Waterman award for excellence in underwater video. The grand prize is a live-aboard trip on the Nai’a in Fiji. This year’s winner is:
- Dutch Estuary, Edward A. M. Snijders, Nuth, The Netherlands.
- Deep Blue, Walter Marti, Mission Viejo, CA.
- Circle of Life, Simon Spear, Surrey, England.
HON Chivarly, Elly Wray, Murietta, CA.
- Frogfish Predation , Ng Eng Lock , Singapore, Singapore.
HON: Jelly the Turtle, Ellly Wray, Murietta, CA.
The winning images can be seen on the contests website (Note that the videos will be up shortly).
The 35th Annual Beneath The Sea Dive Exposition will take place March 25, 26 and 27, 2011 at the Meadowlands Exposition Center, Secaucus, New Jersey – 10 minutes from Manhattan. Further information can be found on Beneath The Sea’s internet website.