Nauticam are shipping their housing for the Nikon D7200 SLR camera. The NA-D7200 is 15% lighter than the NA-D7000, has improved ergonomics and the company’s vacuum electronics are factory installed. It also features a redesigned camera saddle with a vacuum system reset button and access to the camera’s programmable Fn button.
The NA-D7200 is shipping now at a U.S.A. retail price of $3300.
Announcing New Housing for Nikon D7200
The Nauticam Housing for Nikon APS-C, Refined
Nauticam is pleased to announce the release of the NA-D7200, the newest aluminum underwater camera housing for the Nikon D7200. This housing marks an incredible degree of refinement, derived from a long list of housings for Nikon SLR’s.
The Nikon D7200
The D7200 is now the king of the Nikon APS-C world, and is a worthy heir to that throne. Nikon has perfected the sports/enthusiast cropped sensor camera, and this is it. For the underwater photographer, there are two key features that distinguish the D7200 from it’s predecessor, the D7100:
Focus Performance: The D7200 features an upgrade to the focus system; 51 AF points (the central 15 of which are cross-type), sensitive to -3EV (the D7100’s were limited to -2EV)
Buffer: One of the few complaints about the D7100 was the buffer size. At 6fps continuous shooting, it did not take long to fill the buffer, which then relegates the shot-to-shot speed to how fast the SD card can write. The D7200 features a larger buffer, allowing 18 14-bit RAW files, 27 12-bit RAW files or over 100 jpgs before filling. Combine that with a speedy SD card, and the camera will fire at will in even the most intense shooting encounters.
Other more subtle improvements await the new owner of the D7200… for example, the ISO button now automatically activates the info screen, reducing the number of button pushes needed to change ISO. The camera also follows in the footsteps of the D810 by supporting exposure compensation using auto ISO in manual mode.
One other key thing to keep in mind about the D7200 is that it supports the older screw drive lenses. While this might not seem like a big deal, it is key for underwater shooters wanting to use the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom lens.
Of course, the D7200 doesn’t stop there - it is loaded with features that make the camera a joy to use, like 1080/60p video, WiFi with NFC, flat picture style, and as a nice surprise, more shots on a battery than before.
Nikon D7200 Features
- 24.2MP CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter.
- Multi-CAM 3500DX II 51-point AF system, all sensitive to -3EV.
- 2,016-pixel RGB metering sensor, used for 3D subject tracking in AF-C.
- ISO 100-25,600, with ISO 51,200 and 102,400 black and white modes.
- 6 fps shooting (7 fps in 1.3x crop mode) with increased buffer depth.
- 1/8000 sec maximum shutter speed.
- 3.2”, 1.2M dot RGBW LCD display.
- 1080/60p video (1.3x crop only) with clean output over HDMI .
- Flat Picture Control.
- Dual SD card slots.
- Wi-Fi with NFC.
- Magnesium alloy weather-sealed body.
Skipping a Generation
The D7200 is a great upgrade from the D7100, if for nothing else than the larger buffer and the faster and more accurate autofocus. But for those “generation skippers” still shooting the D7000 (or the D90!), this is a huge step up in terms of performance and image quality.
For those still waiting for Nikon to release a follow on to the D300s, this is your camera. DPReview.com put it this way:
“For a long time, Nikon shooters have been awaiting the arrival of a D400, or some kind of replacement for the D300S. We think that camera is the D7200. It offers the same continuous shooting performance as the D300S (but now at 24MP) while adding a significantly better AF system and 60p video recording.”
The NA-D7200 is the latest in a series of housings for the Nikon D7000, D7100, and now D7200 cameras, beginning with the original NA-D7000 housing release in 2010. In fact, this is the 5th housing in this series, not to mention some rolling enhancements along the way. This all adds up to an incredibly refined housing, ideally suited for taking the D7200 into the underwater world.
Some may ask, why even make a special housing for the D7200? After all, the D7200 and the D7100 share the same physical measurements, and the D7200 works fine in the NA-D7100 housing. The answer is simple… Nauticam will continue to innovate and continue to refine housing designs. It is what we do.
The NA-D7200 includes the latest innovations of the Nauticam housing line, including overall weight reduction (15% lighter than original D7100 housing) which makes getting the rig neutrally buoyant very easy, improved (again) ergonomics, and the famous Nauticam Vacuum Check System electronics included. The housing also includes a new Fn key lever and updated camera tray lock.
- Patented Multi Controller Pad, located within easy reach of the right thumb, virtually recreates the Nikon D7200 multi selector allowing full multidirectional use of this powerful tool, including diagonals. No other manufacturer has it.
- Nauticam Locking Housing Latches mean secure yet easy access to changing batteries or memory cards. Why break your knuckles trying to open a housing?
- Unsurpassed build quality, designed by award winning engineering team.
- Produced utilizing the most modern manufacturing technology available.
- Ergonomically placed controls with size, shape, and color differentiation.
- Access to all key camera controls.
- All controls clearly labeled.
- Patented two stage shutter release, precise feel over half/full press.
- Patented Port Locking System.
- Patent pending Multi Controller pad.
- Lens release button.
- Easy to operate locking housing latches.
- Rubberized ergonomic grips.
- Quick release camera mounting plate.
- Optical strobe connectors for fiber optic flash triggering.
- 2x M16 accessory holes for HDMI, hydrophone, or vacuum valve.
- Single M14 accessory hole for electrical sync cable bulkhead.
- Integrated vacuum monitoring and leak detection circuit (valve optional).
- Vacuum reset button in port mount for quick lens changes.
- Dual 1” (25mm) strobe mounting balls included as standard equipment.
- 1/4-20 tripod mounting holes.
- Dual 10mm threaded accessory mounting points.
- .66x optical glass pickup finder.
- 100m Depth Rating.
Nauticam Vacuum Check System
The Nauticam vacuum check and leak detection system is available with NA-D200 as standard equipment. Combined with an optional vacuum valve, this monitoring system provides constant updates on the water tight and safe to dive status of the housing. The operator can, at a glance, instantly see the water tight and safe-to-dive status of the housing. A simple coded LED lighting system lets the user know that the vacuum is solid, or that the housing is losing vacuum. Leak detection is built into the same circuit, so if there is water intrusion, an audible and visual indication will occur. The NA-D7200 ships with a 3rd bulkhead port specifically for installing optional vacuum valves, leaving the user two other bulkhead ports for HDMI, sync cables and other accessories.
The standard optical glass viewfinder is very good and travel friendly, but many photographers prefer the ease of a magnified viewfinder with adjustable diopter. Nauticam produces a “straight” 180º enlarging viewfinder and a 45º angled enlarging viewfinder to enhance the ease of close quarters work often associated with macro shooting. Both viewfinders have high quality optics, and allow bright viewing of the entire image. A patented external dioptric adjustment allows personal adjustment to a sharp-as-a-tack standard underwater and viewfinder changes can be executed in less than 30 seconds without using tools. Exceptional composition and focus accuracy have never been more accessible.
- 180º Enhancing Viewfinder (32201).
- 45º Enhancing Viewfinder (32203).
- Patent Pending Super Macro Converter (81201), providing 2.3:1 reproduction ration with the popular AF-S 105mm /2.8G VR Macro Lens.
- M16 Vacuum Valve (25612).
- Complete line of flat and dome ports for all major lenses, available in acrylic and glass.
- Locking port extension rings from 10mm to 90mm.
- Monitor/Recorder Housing for Atomos Ninja2 (17902) or Shogun (17904).
- Monitor Housing for SmallHD DP4 Monitor (17901).
- Fiber optic cables for Inon (26211) and Sea&Sea (26212).
- Full line of mounting accessories for lighting, including mount balls, strobe adapters, arms, clamps, and specialty items.
- Multiple styles of lanyards.
- Lens holders, including flip-up .
- Focus and Zoom gears for many Nikon, Tokina, and Sigma lenses.
- Port Adapters for Aquatica, Ikelite, Inon, Nexus M5 & M6, Sea & Sea NX, Seacam, Subal Version 3 & 4, and Zillion.
- Handle accessories including smaller handles, handle extensions for cold water diving.
Inon, Keldan, FIX
- Inon Z-240 - Powerful, reliable strobe with excellent coverage.
- Inon S-2000 - Smallest strobe, ideal for travel.
- FIX NEO 1500 DX SWR - Focus light with Wide, Spot and Red light options.
- Keldan LUNA 4x - 6000 lumen video light.
Details and Specifications
Depth Rating: 100m.
Dimensions: 343mm W x 186mm H x 132mm D.
Weight: 2.82kg , 2.74kg without ball mounts.
Model Number: 17218
USA Retail Price: $3300.
More information is available from Nauticam USA. A full USA dealer list is also available.
Contact Nauticam USA:
2303 N. Andrews Ave.
Phone: 954-489-8678. Web. Email.
Nauticam is the world’s leading manufacturer of innovative, ergonomic imaging solutions. Founded in 2009 by Edward Lai, an underwater photographer with two decades of experience making precision injection molds, Nauticam has continued to raise the bar with every new model release. Nauticam’s goal is to provide the absolute best user experience possible. Nauticam USA is the exclusive wholesale distributor of Nauticam products in the North and South American Markets. Nauticam USA’s warehouse and service center is located in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Our staff of underwater photography experts strives to provide the best customer support and after sale service available. Dealer inquiries are welcome!
Please email for dealer enquiries.
See here for a full list of Dealers in the Americas:
Please email for dealer enquiries Outside of North & South America.
See here for an International Dealer Listing.