Nikon has unveiled a new compact camera, widely touted as a serious competitor for the popular Canon G11.The P7000 has a 10.1 megapixel CCD sensor and the camera will shoot in RAW mode, with built-in processing available if required. It can shoot HD video of 720p, at 24fps, and has an ISO range of up to 2400. Its lens has a minimum focal length of 28mm, giving an equivalent of 35mm on FX, with a vibration reduction (VR) function and a neutral density filter option.
The camera is expected to be available later in September.
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the COOLPIX P7000, the latest flagship model in the COOLPIX series. The P7000 is a fun camera that incorporates advanced shooting functions with a feel similar to that of digital SLR cameras in a compact, lightweight body.
The COOLPIX P7000 is a classic compact digital camera offering advancements in image quality, shooting functions and operation over its predecessor, the COOLPIX P6000 (released in September 2008). The COOLPIX P6000 was well received for the advanced level of its shooting functions with operation and results similar to that of a digital SLR camera. The comprehensive camera design, operation and functions were satisfying even to those who normally use a digital SLR camera.
The P7000 offers an effective pixel count of 10.1 million pixels. It is equipped with a 7.1X optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers a broad range of focal lengths beginning at the wide-angle 28mm (equivalent with 35mm  format), and makes the most of the large 1/1.7-inch, RGB CCD image sensor and optical characteristics. In addition, adoption of the latest image-processing engine, EXPEED C2, enables capture of high-resolution images with rich tonal expression. The P7000 is also equipped with a number of new functions, including Zoom Memory and Tone Level Information display, which provide greater control over shooting and resulting images. With a number of high-sensitivity shooting functions to choose from depending upon shooting conditions, high-speed response and controls that support intuitive operation, the COOLPIX P7000 is the optimal tool for nature photography as well as wide variety of other scenes.
COOLPIX P7000 Primary Features:
An effective pixel count of 10.1 million pixels and a 7.1X optical zoom NIKKOR lens with a zoom range beginning at the wide-angle 28mm focal length (equivalent with 35mm  format):
A large CCD image sensor, high-performance NIKKOR lens and new image-processing engine—EXPEED C2—that achieves greater image quality and faster image processing, have been adopted for rendering capability that enables capture of photographic works of art.
(1) Large 1/1.7-inch RGB CCD image sensor. Individual pixels with greater pitch enable richer tonal expression and a broader dynamic range for excellent image quality, even with shooting at high sensitivities.
(2) NIKKOR lens. A lens-shift vibration reduction (VR) function and two ED lens elements that effectively suppress chromatic aberration have been adopted for the 7.1X optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers a wide range of focal lengths from the wide-angle 28mm to telephoto 200mm (equivalent with 35mm  format). These features of the NIKKOR lens enable capture of sharp, high-resolution images.
(3) Built-in ND filter. The P7000 is the first COOLPIX camera to be equipped with a built-in neutral density (ND) filter that reduces the amount of light that passes through the lens, enabling a three-stop decrease in shutter speed. This allows you to apply slower shutter speeds to shooting in bright surroundings.
(4) 6-blade iris diaphragm.
Specify zoom focal length and register camera settings:
(1) Zoom memory. This function allows you to easily specify a preset focal length with zoom photography. As zoom can immediately be switched from a wide-angle position to a specified telephoto focal length, capturing images at the intended angle of view is fast and easy.
(2) User setting modes. Up to three combinations of settings specified by the user can be registered with the camera. Simply rotate the mode dial to quickly apply registered settings and achieve the intended results.
A variety of functions that enable superior rendering with shooting at high sensitivities in dark surroundings:
(1) Low noise night mode. The camera automatically detects surrounding brightness and controls noise while applying a higher ISO sensitivity setting.
(2) Noise reduction filter. The level of noise reduction processing performed can be adjusted according to shooting intent.
(3) Long exposure NR.Reduces the noise that occurs with shooting in dark surroundings at slow shutter speeds.
High-speed response that ensures certain capture of fleeting scenes:
Preserve precious photos with instant capture of sudden movements or fleeting expressions. A power-up time* of approximately 0.95 seconds and a shooting time lag of approximately 0.23 seconds ensure quick response to sudden photo opportunities.
*Power-up time measured according to CIPA guidelines. Shooting time lag measured according to Nikon standards: 28mm focal length (equivalent in 35mm  format), shooting distance of 2 m, ambient brightness of LV 10; images recorded to 4-GB Class 10 SDHC memory card.
Tone level information display for checking exposure:
Tone level information. The new tone level information function not only allows users to verify exposure with a histogram* (graph showing brightness distribution), but also allows them to choose the desired tone (brightness) from nine levels.
*A histogram is a graph that shows brightness distribution. The horizontal axis shows the number of pixels and the vertical axis shows luminosity.
Greater support for RAW files, making them even easier to use:
Support for Nikon’s exclusive RAW (NRW) format has been extended to continuous shooting and functions including Active D-Lighting.*
*ViewNX 2(supplied) and Capture NX 2 (available separately) are required to open NRW files on a computer. The application or updates can be downloaded from Nikon’s website support page.
Recording of HD movies with stereo sound.
3-inch, approximately 921k-dot TFT LCD monitor with wide viewing angle and 100% reproduction of the sRGB color space.
Superior operation that is easily mastered.
Adoption of a quick menu dial and exposure compensation dial makes applying camera settings faster and smoother by reducing the number of menu layers. In addition, the superior design with a focus on operation offers a natural and comfortable grip perfectly suited to shooting.
- 4 exposure modes: [P], [S], [A], [M]
- Three auto bracketing functions—Exposure bracketing (Tv and Sv), White balance bracketing—for automatic continuous shooting at specified increments for more precise expression.
- Macro photography with shooting as close as 2 cm (0.8 in.) to the lens.
- Virtual horizon display for visual confirmation that the camera is horizontally and vertically level.
- COOLPIX Picture Control options that can be selected according to the scene or your intent prior to shooting.
- Support for a variety of optional accessories, including a wide-angle converter and external Speedlights.