Panasonic has released updated specifications for its AG-AF100/105 professional micro 4/3 camcorder. The new camera will be able to shoot 1080p Hd video at variable frame rates from 12 to 60fps. It will record to SDXC memory cards and will be compatible with all Lumix G lenses. The company has an engineering sample to view at the IBS show currently running in the Netherlands.
The AG-AF105 is the US model, whilst the AG-AF100 is the European version. Both versions are expected to start shipping in December 2010.
Panasonic Corporation announces the December release of a new addition to its professional AVCHD video camera AVCCAM line-up: the Memory Card Camera Recorder AG-AF100 series.
The AG-AF100 series is the world’s first 1 professional HD camera recorder equipped with Four Thirds MOS image sensor. As the first model in the AVCCAM series to have exchangeable lenses, it can use a Micro Four Thirds digital single-lens or cinematic lenses such as prime lens with a conversion adapter 2, as well as professional audio input (XLR), making it the perfect camera recorder for professionals.
The AG-AF100 series targets the video and film professional world, able to utilize Micro Four Thirds lenses, filters and adapters 2 to achieve image recording with a shallow depth of field and wider-angle through the large-sized image sensor. The camera recorder can record video in full HD (1080i/p) / 720p formats including 1080/24p native 3 mode with Full HD Variable Frame Rate (VFR) 4 function. The video can be recorded on the bigger capacity SDXC memory cards in professional high quality PH mode (maximum 24Mbps 5).
An engineering sample of the camera recorder will be displayed in the Panasonic booth (11.E60) at the IBC international broadcasting convention held in Amsterdam from September 10 to 14.
- Equipped with a Four Thirds type image sensor and Micro Four Thirds lens mount.
- Can shoot professional high quality video in PH mode with Full HD Variable Frame Rate function.
- Has interfaces (HD SDI output / XLR input) and design required for professional production work.
Explanation of Key Features.
Equipped with a Four Thirds type image sensor and Micro Four Thirds lens mount.
Four Thirds type MOS sensor: It is equipped with a Four Thirds type MOS sensor for an imaging area almost the same as that of 35mm film (motion picture). Use of film lenses allows easy recording of filmic tone video with a shallow depth of field. Effective imaging area is clipped to an aspect ratio of 16:9.
Micro Four Thirds lens mount: Diversified Micro Four Thirds single-lens still camera lenses can be used for shooting video. The adapter mount allows 35mm film camera lenses or prime lenses to be attached to make possible a wide variety of visual expressiveness from each lens particular tone. Use of all lenses / adaptors is not guaranteed.
Can shoot professional high quality video in PH mode with Full HD Variable Frame Rate function.
Long recording time in AVCHD high quality PH mode: Video is recorded in AVCHD format. The PH mode for professional high quality video with a bit rate of 24Mbps is also supported. Two SD card slots allow relay recording from one SD (SD / SDHC / SDXC) card to another to give large recording capacity of up to 12 hours in PH mode or 48 hours in HE mode. In PH mode 16bit LPCM can be selected for audio to give a better level of sound recording.
Multiple HD formats compatibility and New VFR recording function: Recording can be made in multiple HD formats – 1080: 60i/50i/30p/25p/24p; 720: 60p/50p/30p/25p/24p 6. The new VFR (Variable Frame Rate) recording function 7 in full HD (1920 x 1080) progressive mode is also supported. Playback in 24p gives a cinematic effect driven by 1/2.5 speed slow motion or double-speed quick motion. DRS, Gamma and many other video expression functions available on previous Panasonic professional camera recorders remain in place.
Has interfaces (HD SDI output / XLR input) and design required for professional production work.
Allows HD SDI output, XLR input and other professional specifications: The camera recorder is equipped with interfaces that of a professional video camera, including HD SDI output, XLR audio 2ch (48 V phantom power source compatible) inputs. Time code recording feature is also available to deal with professional video operations.
Design based on professional camera recorders.
The professional camera recorder design with grip, handle, large-sized high quality view finder (1.14cm (0.45 inches) / 1.226 million dot equivalent [852 x 480 x 3 (RGB)]) on a lightweight / compact body, along with a 16:9 color LCD panel (8.76cm (3.45 inches) / 921,000 dot (1920 x 480)), supports smooth camera operation. The handle and grip are detachable for diverse peripherals and applications.
Other features / specifications:
- Internal ND filter: 1/4, 1/16, 1/64 or Off (rotary switch).
- Focus-assist function: edge coloration, focus bar display.
- DRS (Dynamic Range Stretch): automatically reduces compression of black or blown highlights in high contrast scenes.
- Thumbnail viewing, clip deletion and SD card to SD card copying and meta-data recording functions.
- Pre-rec and Interval rec functions.
- Relay recording: Relay recording from one SD card to another without interrupt.
- WFM display function: the wave form of the video being recorded is easily displayed on an LCD monitor.
- Shot mark function: the useful shot mark function allows marking of clips as good, bad or others.
- User buttons: three user buttons allow high-frequency functions to be performed with a single push.
- Audio volumes: allows manual adjustment of audio inputs (2 ch).
- Video output (pin jack x 1), HD/SD SDI output (BNC x 1), HDMI output (HDMI Type A x 1).
- USB 2.0 (Type B) allows connection to PC/Mac.
- XLR audio inputs (XLR x 2, Line/Mike selectable, +48V compatible), Internal microphone (stereo).
- Audio outputs (RCA x 2), Headphone (stereo mini jack x 1 (3.5mm diameter)).
- Camera Remote (super mini jack x 1; zoom, S/S, mini jack x 1; focus, iris).
1 : Research by Panasonic (as of September 2010) 2 : Use of all lenses/ adaptors is not guaranteed. 3 : Native mode records only the effective frames and actual recording at 24 is 23.98Hz. 4 : VFR in 720p mode is not supported. Select 20 steps from 12p to 60p at 60Hz. Select 20 steps from 12p to 50p at 50Hz. Playback is available at 1080/24p, 1080/25p or 1080/30p. Playback at 1080/60p and 1080/50p are not available on this product. 5 : Average of 21Mbps (VBR). 6 : Actual recording is at 60=59.94, 30=29.97Hz, 24=23.98Hz respectively. 7 : VFR in 720p mode is not supported. Playback in 1080/60p and 1080/50p are not available.
AVCHD and the AVCHD logo are trademarks of Panasonic Corporation and Sony Corporation. AVCCAM is the name of Panasonic’s professional AVCHD series. Micro Four Thirds and the Micro Four Thirds logo are trademarks / registered trademarks of Olympus Corporation in Japan, the USA, the EU and other countries.