Widely leaked around the web, Sony has released the specifications of its NEX-5R EVIL camera. Its form factor and controls are very similar to the NEX-5N, and the camera appears to feature the same 16.1 megapixel 23.5-by-15.6mm APS-C CMOS sensor and BIONZ image processing engine. New specifications include a combination phase and contrast detection AF system, which increase focus speed and accuracy and in-built Wi-Fi capabilities.
The NEX-5R, in silver, black, or white will be available in mid-October at $650 for the camera body only.
IFA, Berlin, 29 August 2012
More imaging power, less to carry
NEX-5R compact system camera from Sony debuts “Fast Hybrid AF”, Wi-Fi and PlayMemories Camera Apps
- DLSR-quality images and Full HD video from newly developed, large 16.1 effective megapixel APS-C image sensor.
- New Fast Hybrid AF for fast and precise autofocus in any situation; DSLR-like AF tracking for shooting at up to 10 fps.
- Download new features through built-in Wi-Fi with PlayMemories Camera Apps TM , the world’s first application download service(1).
- 180° tiltable LCD touchscreen for self-portraits with ultra-compact body.
Serious picture performance, style and portability are blended beautifully in new NEX-5R compact system camera from Sony.
Combining big-sensor image quality with the freedom of interchangeable lenses, the hybrid mirrorless camera offers all the benefits of DSLR-style imaging with less to carry. A power-packed step-up from your point-and-shoot compact, it’s also a perfect second camera for photo enthusiasts who won’t compromise on image quality or control when they’re traveling light.
With a resolution of 16.1 effective megapixels, the DSLR-sized sensor assures richly detailed still photos and crisp Full HD video. It’s teamed with the powerful BIONZ image processor that ensures flawless, low-noise images – even when you’re shooting dimly lit interiors at sensitivity settings up to ISO 25600.
In a first for interchangeable lens cameras by Sony, Fast Hybrid AF combines phase- and contrast-detection autofocus methods to suit the demands of any shooting situation. First, phase-detection AF quickly detects subject distance; then contrast-detection activates to confirm extremely fine, precise focus.
In Speed Priority Continuous mode, the NEX-5R switches automatically to phase detection tracking AF. You’ll enjoy DSLR-like focusing responses when you’re capturing fast-moving action with high-speed burst shooting at up to 10 frames per second.
From launch, Fast Hybrid AF is supported with these lenses: E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS; E 55-210mm F4-6.3 OSS; E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS; E 24mm F1.8ZA Sonnar T*. Firmware upgrades will steadily expand the range of lenses offering Fast Hybrid AF support.
Framing, adjusting, shooting and viewing images is a pleasure on the intuitive touch-screen LCD. It’s complemented by a fully featured control dial and function button: a versatile combination for any photographer who’s accustomed to the flexibility of their DSLR camera. There’s also a new touch shutter function that makes it easier than ever to pick your perfect moment.
The clear, bright touchscreen flips through 180 degrees for easy arm’s length self-portraits. Enthusiasts will also welcome the switchable on-screen digital level gauge that helps keep horizons level with landscapes and architectural shots.
Full HD movie shooting has also been enhanced with a new Auto Slow Shutter feature that adds extra sparkle to low-light clips. The camera detects dim interiors ¬¬and night scenes, automatically switching to a slower shutter speed to brighten up your footage.
The NEX-5R is the first α interchangeable-lens digital cameras by Sony with integrated Wi-Fi capabilities for easy image sharing, saving and viewing. Photos and videos can be transferred wirelessly to any smartphone or tablet that’s running the free PlayMemories Mobile app.
Alternatively, transfer all those memories directly to a networked PC, simplifying image back-ups without having to fiddle with memory cards or connecting cables. Photos stored on the NEX-5R can also be enjoyed directly on any DLNA-compatible TV, with no HDMI cable needed. Share via your wireless access point, or bypass your router and send pictures straight from the camera to TVs supporting Wi-Fi Direct.
The NEX-5R even lets you upgrade the camera’s capabilities any time to suit your shooting needs. Brand-new PlayMemories Camera Apps is the world’s first downloadable service1 that lets you install new functions on demand. You just need to connect the camera to your PC via USB or directly over Wi-Fi to do this.
From launch, available apps include “Picture Effect+”; “Bracket Pro”; “Multi Frame NR”; “Photo Retouch”; “Smart Remote Control” and “Direct Upload”. Sony plans to provide more new apps, such as “Time-lapse” and ”Cinematic Photo” in the near future.
New accessories include the slim style Soft Carrying Case LCS-SL10 - which is the ideal camera bag to carry your spare lens and accessories for casual outdoor use - and the Screen Protect Semi Hard Sheet PCK-LM13 with anti-fingerprint coating to beautifully protect your LCD screen. For further details of the full range of lenses and accessories, please visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/nex
The new NEX-5R compact system camera from Sony is available in the UK from mid-October 2012.
(1) For interchangeable-lens digital cameras as of August 2012
- Digital compact system camera with interchangeable lenses.
- Lens Compatibility: E-mount lens system. Can also use A-mount lenses with optional adaptor (continuous AF supported with LA-EA2).
- Image Sensor: APS-C type (23.5 x15.6 mm) Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor with 16.1 effective megapixels.
- Processor: BIONZ™ image processor
- ISO Sensitivity: Range ISO 100 – 25600 (still images).
- HD movie record: Full HD AVCHD Ver. 2.0 compliant / MPEG-4 AVC (H.264); MP4; up to 1920 x 1080 50p
- LCD: 7.5cm (3”) wide type TFT (Xtra Fine LCD) with 921k dot resolution; tilts upwards approx. 180 degrees, downwards approx. 50 degrees; pressure-sensitive touch panel.
- Digital Zoom: Clear Image Zoom: approx. 2x (still images).
- Smart Zoom: approx. 1.4x/2x (still images).
- Digital Zoom: approx. 4x (still images / movies).
- SteadyShot™ INSIDE (Optical image stabilization available with selected E-mount lenses).
- Autofocus System: Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF); 99 focus points (phase-detection AF) / 25 focus points (contrast-detection AF); Object Tracking AF
- Picture Effect: 11 types (15 variations): Posterization (Color, B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R,G,B,Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft High-key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature.
- Continuous Burst Shooting: Up to 10 frames per second (in Speed Priority mode).
- Battery life (still images): Approx. 330 shots (CIPA measurement).
- External flash (supplied): GN7 (in meters at ISO 100).
- Other features: Auto Portrait Framing and Self-Portrait; Face Detection and Smile Shutter; Superior AUTO; Sweep Panorama (2D); Auto HDR; DRO; Hand-held Twilight mode; Creative Styles; Photo Creativity interface: Wi-Fi; USB Charge; PlayMemories Camera Apps.
- Media: Memory Stick PRO Duo / Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo; SD / SDHC / SDXC.
- Dimensions: (W x H x D) Approx. 110.8 mm × 58.8 mm × 38.9 mm (excluding protrusions).
- Weight: Approx. 218g (body only).
Approx. 276g (with battery and Memory Stick PRO Duo).
- Supplied software: PlayMemories Home.