Subal has announced their new housing for the Nikon D4s SLR camera. Called the ND4S Angler, it gives access to most camera controls and is compatible with the preceding Nikon D4 camera too.
The ND4S Angler will ship this month with a U.S.A retail price of $6,500.
SUBAL Gmbh Austria announces the release of the SUBAL ND4S Angler professional underwater housing for Nikon D4 and D4S cameras.
SUBAL, world-renowned professional underwater housing manufacturer based in Austria, is proud to present the ND4S Angler housing, the next-generation flagship housing from SUBAL. The meticulously crafted ND4S Angler expands the possibilities for professional photographers who demand the best possible performance and reliability in the most challenging environments. With its revolutionary design, quality construction and ergonomic handling, the ND4S Angler sets new standards in underwater imaging.
Designed for the world’s most demanding photographers and multimedia professionals, especially those in the fields of underwater sports and nature photography as well as advanced amateur photographers, the upgraded ND4S housing improves on the design and ergonomics of SUBAL’s earlier ND4, yet is still able to house both the Nikon D4S and its predecessor, the D4.
A formidable evolution of the D4 camera, the new powerhouse D4S provides important upgrades in performance, offering an extraordinary 11 frames per second continuous shooting and Nikon’s fastest autofocus ever. The D4S excels at shooting in low light and offers an expanded ISO of 409,600. Its video features now include 1080/60p video for up to 10 minutes at 42Mbps or 20 minutes at 24Mbps and uncompressed HDMI (while still recording to the internal camera memory, something the D4 could not do).
With SUBAL’s more than 40 years of expertise in housing design and manufacture, high-quality craftsmanship and ergonomic design are integral features of the new ND4S Angler. The handling and feel of SUBAL housings are unmistakable, matched only by their peerless reliability and dependability.
SUBAL incorporates decades of experience and technology, pushing the boundaries further in the underwater housing industry. The ND4S is designed for professional photographers who demand only the most robust and reliable equipment that performs faultlessly under the toughest conditions.
SUBAL understands that fractions of a second can make the difference when capturing the decisive moment, so excellent ergonomics and handling are paramount in every SUBAL housing. Combining exceptional innovation and design in the ND4S, SUBAL have created the most ergonomic housing on the market for the Nikon D4 and D4S full-frame cameras.
Features and Control with Handling in Mind
Ease of operation and superior construction are fundamental components of SUBAL’s tradition and engineering DNA. SUBAL provides innovative solutions that achieve maximum user-friendliness and comfort while allowing easy servicing. As with every SUBAL housing, all the camera’s functions can be operated from the ND4S: Power On-Off/Display Illumination, Shutter Release, Zoom (Manual Focus), Front and Rear Main Dial controls, Lens Release, Focus Mode Selector (M-S-C), Metering Mode Control, Movie Record Button, Mode Selector, AF- Lock, AF-On, Port Lock. The ND4S includes buttons for the following: Mode, Exposure Compensation, Bracketing, Flash Sync Mode, Lock, Metering Mode Control, Rec. Start/Stop, Playback, Delete, Menu, Thumbnail, Protect, OK, ISO, Quality, White Balance, Microphone, Multi Selector, Info, Live View, and AF Mode.
Designed with superb handling in mind, the ND4S provides photographers with access to all photo and video functions while holding the camera.
The SUBAL ND4S housing is crafted from a solid block of high-grade seawater-resistant aluminum, which is anodized and put through a chemical hardening process. SUBAL is the only underwater housing manufacturer to use this patented, hard-coat anodizing method. A triple-layer powder coating is added, giving the housing an elegant finish and further protecting it from the environment. All shafts and screws are made of high-alloy chrome-nickel steel to extend operational lifetime. The advanced manufacturing process and use of high-grade materials ensure that your investment will last a lifetime. Like every SUBAL housing, the ND4S is equipped with the SUBAL Quick Lock closure system for maximum safety.
- Designed for professional underwater use
- Access to all camera and video functions
- Two fiber-optic connectors and two bulkheads with optional N5, Ikelite and S6 connectors
Optional accessories for the ND4/ND4S
- Extensive line of high-quality SUBAL dome and flat ports
- Gears for all major underwater lenses
- Easy attachment of viewfinders: GS180°, WS45° and PS30° Prism Viewfinder
- Full line of mounting accessories available: arms systems, strobes, adapters, mount balls
SUBAL Professional Standard Features
The SUBAL ND4S/ND4 integrates years of accumulated experience with significant engineering breakthroughs.
The SUBAL Quick Lock System is a precise and robust locking system that eliminates accidental opening and has proven to be the most reliable on the market. The new Port Lock System secures dome ports (DPs) and extension rings (EXRs) to the bayonet housing and provides the means to secure all components with ease. The lens Release Latch allows for easy lens exchange without removing the camera from the housing. A visual and audible warning Leak Alarm comes as standard on every SUBAL housing. The SUBAL Special Saddle System for quick and precise positioning of the camera body inside the housing makes misalignment impossible.
Optional Viewfinder Options
In addition to the standard viewfinder, SUBAL has developed various viewfinders to meet the demands of exacting photographers. All SUBAL viewfinders are manufactured with high-quality multicoated optical glass. Easy interchangeability makes it possible to mount any of the SUBAL’s viewfinders on the ND4/ND4S housing as needed. The straight GS180 enlarges the image in the camera’s viewfinder by 2.5 times. The WS45, which also has a magnification factor of 150%, offers an exceptionally comfortable viewing angle and can be rotated 360°, in 90° notched steps, making it perfect for macro and half-and-half shots. SUBAL’s latest innovation is the new PS30 prism viewfinder, which is specially designed for video recording as well as macro and half-and-half shots.
SUBAL provides two fiber-optic ports for accurate TTL control of strobes such as the Inon Z-240, Sea&Sea YS-D1 and Sea&Sea YS-01. Optional bulkheads are available on request for Nikonos V, Ikelite and S6 as well as a video connector for an external monitor.
- Housing Construction: Machined from a single block of specially treated, corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy. Hardness treatment and three-layer powder paint coating.
- Design: Ergonomic placement of all the important controls provides convenient and comfortable handling of all camera functions.
- TTL/Strobes Options/Flash Monitor: Dual Sea&Sea fiber-optic ports and up to two optional flash connectors for Nikonos V, Ikelite or S6 sockets. Video output available on request for external monitor or external trigger.
- Port Mount Type: Bayonet 4 size. All SUBAL dome and flat port options available (except for two).
- Dome Ports Options: DP 100/4 4”, DP FE 8” and SW 230.
- Viewfinder Options: Standard viewfinder supplied. Optional GS180, WS45 and PS30 Prism Viewfinder.
- Leak Alarm: Standard.
- Display: Yes.
- Dimensions: Width (H X D): 280mm X 160 mm (w/o port and handles).
- Buoyancy: Near to neutral.
- Depth Range: 80 meters (standard version) and 120 meters (TEC version, on request).
- Color Options: SUBAL Standard Color and Black TEC version on request.
- Weight: 3.6 kg incl. handles (no ports or accessories).
- Controls: Power On-Off/Display Illumination, Shutter Release, Zoom (Manual Focus), Front and Rear Main Dial, Lens Release, Focus Mode Selector (M-S-C), Metering Mode Control, Movie Record Button, Mode Selector, AF-Lock, AF-On, Port Lock. Push Buttons for: Mode, Exposure Compensation, Bracketing, Flash Sync Mode, Lock, Metering Mode Control, Rec. Start/Stop, Playback, Delete, Menu, Thumbnail, Protect, OK, ISO, Quality, White Balance, Microphone, Multi Selector, Info, Live View, and AF Mode.
SUBAL constantly evaluates new lenses as they arrive on the market and suggests the best options for underwater use. A SUBAL lens port chart for Nikon is available and will guide you through the optimal combination of ports and extension rings for each lens model. Contact your nearest SUBAL dealer for further assistance.