• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 06:04 PM

I tried my new 10D in the UK Germany housing D60, fits really well. The only item (that I care about) that doesn't line up is the Menu button. I'm working on a solution for that now. Looks like I'll be keeping the UK Germany housing.

Also, I tried the sigma 15-35 3.5 lens (in doors)even in almost complete darkness focusing was very fast. This is one hell of a camera for $1500!

#2 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 12:00 AM

Great news! :P

I see from photos of the two housings that the buttons on the top of the camera (that control AF, Drive, etc.) have been moved as well. That means you can't access those, either, right?

There is a good animated gif of the 10d and D60 in dpreview.com's previes of the 10d. It shows that most of the buttons on the left-hand side of the camera back are roughly in the same place (the push buttons will not hit them in the center, though). The trash button has been moved, along with all the buttons on the top-right. The mode dial has been raised slightly and moved just a bit. Hopefully, chris will come back with a full report of what he had to do to get the controls in the UK Germany housing to work with the 10d.

Maybe my housing will sell after all! :P

Has anyone shoved one into the Sea & Sea housing yet? I saw a 10d the other day -- and my housing was sitting right there, empty -- but I neglected to try it.

-eric
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#3 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 04:52 AM

Eric - You are absolutely correct AF type, Drive / ISO, & Web cannot be accessed underwater. To be honest I don't really need to access them underwater. The 10D now has WB bracketing and since it now focuses at ISO 100 even in darkness, I doubt I'll need the ability to change that underwater. Please correct me if I am wrong...

Please understand the focus point button is still accessible it's just the focus type that is not.

The quick control button, set button, shutter and main dial are all accessible in this housing. The LCD monitor and eyecup are perfectly aligned . (LCD on the 10D is much brighter)

The back buttons

Jump -Accessible
Direction -New on the 10D I see no value for underwater purposes
Playback -Accessible
Erase -Not accessible
Info -almost accessible (might be able to bend the bar a little) Why bother I don't need this - Lets use the Kiss method.

Only down side I see is below,

The Main button AKA Menu button does not line up -Would be nice but not required.. As soon as my child goes to bed tonight I am going to figure out a way to align it up.

#4 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 16 March 2003 - 05:37 AM

Any chance of seeing some quick surface shots with the D10 please:Wide & telemacro ?

#5 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 05:55 AM

I'll shot some today with the 15-30Sigma and the 100-400L. I was just wishing the sun would come out...

#6 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 16 March 2003 - 07:00 AM

I'm anxious to see how it reacts to moving subjects, and high contrasts especially. Good choice of lens as I have a Canon-fit 15-30.

Do you have the 15mm Fish eye too?

You can have some of our sunshine - We have far too much!!!

#7 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 09:55 AM

I shot a few shot today but with very little available light. Overall unimpressed with the shots but I honestly think the photographer it to blame. My heads not in it today...To many open issues at work seem to be filling my thoughts.. I might try some wide shots tonight.

TEST SHOT 1

test shot 2 - I killed this one!

Test 3

Yes I have the Fisheye as well.

#8 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 05:21 PM

Test 3

test 2

#9 sethgold

sethgold

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 09:16 PM

That great news since I'm kind of under whelmed with the D60's AF but not ready to write-off my UK-Germany housing. Please keep us up-to-date with your progress. BTW, how did you manage to score a D10 so soon?

#10 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 03:32 AM

Rumor has it that adorama & Dell both have some extra 10Ds in house. I got mine at PCconnection.

I know the US got 10,000 of them last week.

#11 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 05:57 AM

I think it's awesome that Canon announced a camera at PMA and then started delivery like 2 weeks later. Kudos to them for that.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#12 sean

sean

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 05:47 PM

Reefkeep,

I got my 10D yesterday and immediately tried it in my UK-G housing. However, I can not get the thing to seal properly -- it's *almost* there but not quite, and I don't want to force it. Did you have this problem? Is my housing just a little too snug or something? Agh!

Please hilfe! (that's german for 'help' :rolleyes: )

#13 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 07:20 PM

Whats preventing the seal? I had not problems...

#14 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 07:31 PM

10D tonight

Cropped!

#15 dolphine

dolphine

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 07:43 PM

Great one! what was your camera setting for this?
Yesterday night was a bit cloudy at my place, took some pictures though, small moon, no teleconverter lens... :-(

#16 sean

sean

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 04:45 PM

Reefkeep,

Since yours worked I tried mine again, and with a bit of shoving got it to fit. It seems these are not all identically sized; it is VERY snug! The control that sets mode (Av/Tv etc) on the left is jammed right up against the camera, too tightly for my liking. I'll tweak with it and see if I can't get it to fit more easily, it's pretty hard to get the case to seal.

Also, the * button does not line up with the * button on the camera in my case. Yargh! I absolutely need that as I use it for focus (which, as a side effect, makes the Canon E-TTL work better). Trouble is it's hard to see what's going on once you seal the thing up -- not sure how to solve that particular problem.

Other than that the controls seem to line up well, shutter and set button etc. all work. I'd really like to be able to change ISO on the fin, I have used that from time to time when conditions were darker than expected at depth.

Thanks,
Sean

#17 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 03:39 PM

Bob,

You wanted some examples of the 10D, I shot some surface Macro that I thought worked out.

Macro

Lens 100.0 - 400.0 mm Focal Length 120.0 mm Image

Macro II

Lens 100.0 - 400.0 mm Focal Length 190.0

Let me know what you think, I know the DOF is bad but it was handheld at F4.5.

#18 caminu

caminu

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 10:21 AM

I would also love to see if someone can try to fit the 10D into the Sea and Sea D60 housing.