4 replies to this topic

#1 marjsyd

marjsyd

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:24 AM

Hi

I have completed the BSAC Pro Video course and am looking at getting a video rig of my own. I was trained on Sony video cams in Aquatica housings so I have a level of comfort and familiarity with Sony. However, I have researched the prosumer HD video arena and have short listed to two cameras that fit my budget being the Sony AX100 and Panasonic GH4. Currently, I am caught and in two minds on, which way to go? Be a great help to get some thoughts from the forum regarding, which camera would be the better direction to go in...

I am leaning towards the GH4, but I am concerned with its ability to focus under water, and manage contrast. I am also worried about how well it can manually white balance - although this is less of a concern than it's ability to smoothly and cleanly focus.

Thanks

#2 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:02 AM

i haven't used any of the particular cameras mentioned. However i have used other Sony and Panasonic models, getting the sony to white balance below 15m sometimes was just not possible on the other hand with my GH2 it was never an issue.

#3 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

I would suggest GH4 mainly because it also take picture, hence the housing/camera has better resell value, or at least easier to sell. The Gate housing for AX100 is $3340, $1000 more than the housing for GH4.

Shooting macro and white angle on the same dive with GH4 could be tricky, it shouldn't be a problem with AX100.

#4 kkfok

kkfok

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:39 AM

I think $3340 includes the wide angle port GP34A.

#5 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

The ax100 will be more versatile with it zoom, so you can do wide angle & macro on the same dive.

Owner of Down Under Aquatic Imaging.
www.duai.com.au

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Panasonic GH4, Sony AX100, 4000K, 4k