Photo
- - - - -

Best option to backup and view RAW pictures while travelling?

travelling backup RAW CR2 laptop tablet storage editing

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan Oriold

Stefan Oriold

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:41 AM

Hello,

This is my first post on this site, and I hope that your experiences, expertise and suggestions can help me find what I need. I shoot all my pictures in RAW and generally also take some video footage. What I am looking for is the following:

• Tablet or laptop to backup and view the RAW (i.e., CR2) files
  • Being able to install Lightroom would be great but is not 100% required, as long as I can at least view the images
  • Having a USB port would be great for usign external hard drives, etc.
  • The tablet/laptop should be light
  • The item shouldn't cost more than $400-$500
  • I currently have the Microsoft Surface RT, which I HATE
  • I am open to Chromebooks with an external drive (unless some have larger storage) but I can't seem to find out if they allow to view CR2 files

Thank you very much in advance, I really appreciate your help.

Best regards,

Stefan

#2 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2234 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:17 AM

Hi Stefan

Welcome to Wetpixel! Good to have you with us - I hope you find the forum really helpful.

I'm sure members will be able to offer you some good ideas in response - I'm a Mac guy and your post suggests that is ruled out.

In the meantime though it would be well worth you searching the forums using the Search facility - if you've not done already. This is an issue that comes up quite often. If you type in, for example, Travel Computer in the Search box and select "Forums" you should get a few hits.

Best wishes

Tim

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#3 divengolf

divengolf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:User name says it all- Dive & Golf, plus a little fishin' when I can.

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:27 AM

Stefan,

Also welcome to WP. There is a wealth of info here.

A little off the subject, but I shoot both RAW and a high res jpeg file for each photo. I use the .jpegs to review and find which may be keepers. Jpegs can be viewed on most devices without problem and are much quicker to bring up for viewing.  Once I get home, I have my potentially good ones ID and then can go into the RAW files to play with them.

If your camera allows this scheme, it might be one way to solve your problem as long as you don't need to edit the RAW files while traveling.

Harry

Edited by divengolf, 14 January 2016 - 07:34 AM.

#4 casts_by_fly

casts_by_fly

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

I travel with an iPad. Rather than trying to back up cards, I just bring a bunch. Normally I have 5x 16GB for 10 days of diving. That means swapping a card every other day or so. In the event of a corruption or a flood, then I don't loose much if anything. I also then shoot raw plus jpg. I have a Kingston mobilite which allows you to pull pictures from a card to the iPad. Mobile photoshop or Lightroom lets you read and upload. I don't know about cr2 support. The iPad doesn't do Olympus raw files natively, but I haven't tried photoshop mobile.

If you use the lightning to usb connection then you can have the hard drive attached. Not sure which has the most friendly app for what you want though.

Rick

#5 DavidSD619

DavidSD619

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:22 AM

Microsoft Surface Pro and a few USB 3.0 external drives should do.   Surface Pro also has Micro SD card reader so that is an option to store backups(may need a few cards) if you want to travel lite.  You can probably pick up a Surface Pro 2 or 3 for under $500 now.  I have the original Surface Pro and it works fine with Lightroom and Windows 10

#6 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1914 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:40 PM

Laptop is my choice, lets me do real editing (haven't tried the surface pro) on the fly, macbook air is light and relatively fast, my wife uses it for video editing (Final Cut Pro X) as well.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#7 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

Forget the Chromebook.   It's a browser more than a computer, and it will have issues with CR2 files unless you have a plugin in Chrome to read them.

My problem with Ipads is that 16gb of storage won't even hold the contents of one of my DSLR cards.   If they can hook up to an external storage device, it would be fine.

I'd just find a 15 inch laptop running Windows at Costco and stick Lightroom or DPP on it.   You should be able to get something with at least a 250GB drive for under $500.

#8 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2366 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:17 PM

As mentioned, I bring a card for each day of shooting. I download to my iPad so I can review in the field.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#9 WetPup

WetPup

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:47 PM

I have an 11" Macbook Air that I own solely for travelling with on holidays. Weighs next to nothing, and lets me do whatever photo and video editing I want, as well as acting as an approriate backup system, and means of communication. Not within your budget though by the sounds of it, but it is my perfect holiday travel system.

Edited by WetPup, 16 January 2016 - 06:47 PM.

#10 nokie

nokie

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:26 AM

Have you considered one of the "converitbles" like the ASUS Transformer Book? They are not very fast and don't have an extremely high res display, but should be in your price range (even combined with a external hard drive, some come with a 500GB hard drive internally but probably a version with SSD and an external drive will be better) and have a very good battery life. LR should work ok-ish on the most recent models.

Don't know about other brands, but I am very happy personally with ASUS.

#11 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:06 AM

Macbook Air 11" Does everything I want while I'm travelling, unsure if its above your budget.

I've never figured out using RAW files with my iPAD - I presume these days they accept them via the SD card reader. Only thing with the iPAD route would be its slow, as its USB2.0 on the lighting port.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#12 JamesR

JamesR

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

I bring a MacBook Pro 15" along with an external USB3 drive. I also have plenty of CF cards (and SD cards if needed) so that I don't have to re-use cards.

Process is simple: Import the day's shots, run through Lightroom CC to see which are even keepers and rate them 3 stars. Anything not rated gets deleted. Copy rated shots to external drive. That gives me three copies of each raw file (Mac, USB HDD, and CF card).  I usually don't edit much past that while I am on a trip.

I don't do RAW + Jpeg. I don't think the jpeg is all that useful to me and is wasted space as I never use them. The only time I shoot jpeg is if I am shooting an event and they need the files quick with no or very minimal editing to get on the web/social media and such quickly, for example.

-James

Flickr | 500px (some nsfw in both)

#13 Bigtrev

Bigtrev

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:25 PM

Previously I have traveled with my old laptop which was a beast to carry. Last trip I invested in a 2TB Western Digital MyPassport Wireless Pro.This is a wireless portable HD that has a built in SD card reader as well as wireless connectivity. The idea being that at the end of the day I insert my card, it automatically backs up to the HD. I can then check everything is there with my phone and then delete everything from the card and start fresh the next morning. 

#14 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2366 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:22 PM

I bring a new card for each day. I see you do video. My friend brings a portable hard drive for each trip and backs up to that from his laptop.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#15 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

I carry enough cards to never need deleting during the trip.

I copy the photos of each day to a laptop and to a portable hard drive.

This leaves me with 3 copies of each picture.

The laptop has lightroom though I rarely use it during the trip.  I can open and view RAW images without it.

My setup does not meet your under $500 criteria but as most u/w photogs discover, nothing in this endeavor fits a reasonable budget.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#16 divengolf

divengolf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:User name says it all- Dive & Golf, plus a little fishin' when I can.

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:57 PM

photographylife.com just did a review on the WD wireless backup unit discussed above. I cannot post a link to it for some reason, but it's available on their web site.

But if you delete your files from the SD chip after using the WD unit, that only give you one copy. I always either bring enough chips to avoid the need to delete any files after BU, or use a laptop with an external HD to do multiple BUs. Plus my camera will write to two SD chips as pics are being taken given me an automatic BU in case the worst happens. My goal at the end of a trip is to have three complete sets of files all traveling in different places, on person, in carry on and in checked luggage. Fortunately I've never lost any pics to bad chips, etc., but my time will come. It always does.

#17 divengolf

divengolf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:01 PM

Just read diver dave1 post. There is a app "Fast Raw Viewer" that makes culling images prior to import into LR very easy. On photographylife.com, there are a couple good reviews of this app. Saves a lot of time vs importing everything into LR. I only import those few pics that I want to work.

#18 divengolf

divengolf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:31 PM

Just noticed that photographylife.com just posted a new review on Gnarbox 2.0 SSD. Appears that it's a better BU option than the WD device I discussed above.

#19 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

I have a Surfacepro and are very happy with it.
But to be honest, for the price of a fast Surfacepro you may get a faster laptop/MacBook having a better keyboard.
However, the SurfacePro is a awesome machine, expensive but high quality and flawless working.

One 2GB disk and another identic one as backup will store all of your photos.
SSD Disks are expensive but sturdy, better for travelling purposes.
Chris

Nikon D800 + Sigma 15mm + Nikon 105mm Micro VR + Hugyfot Housing + 3 Inon Z-240 strobes + 2x2 8'' ULCS arms - Panasonic LX100 + Nauticam Housing + SubSea +10 diopter
Nikon D90 + Ikelite housing + Ikelite DS125 strobe (for sale) - Nikon D7000 + Hugyfot housing (for sale) 
Canon G1X + Canon OEM housing (sold) - Canon G12 + Patima aluminium housing  (for sale) - - Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing (for sale)
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#20 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, hiking in the mountains and everything with an Apple on...

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:40 PM

I use my Macbook 12 for Lightroom and Backup during travel....not the fastest way, but small and sufficient.

Sascha

Nikon D850, Nauticam NA-D850 housing, Nauticam TTL-Converter 26308, 2 x INON Z330, Nikon 8-15 Fisheye, Nikon 16-35mm, Nauticam 230mm port, Zen170mm  Port, ULCS arms with StiX floats

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: travelling, backup, RAW, CR2, laptop, tablet, storage, editing