• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

Lunar Eclipse from Totality through to full moon...taken from my living room window in Sharm, Egypt!

Lunar_Eclipse_Montage_1.jpg
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:23 AM

Cool Duncan. Only thing that bothers me is that the 3 central images appear over exposed and have no highlight detail. Are you not able to pull back in RAW and get some detail?
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:54 AM

Cool Duncan. Only thing that bothers me is that the 3 central images appear over exposed and have no highlight detail. Are you not able to pull back in RAW and get some detail?

Hi Loftus,

Had never tried anything like this before and didn't realize just how much the exposure would vary. I was trying to keep the entire moon visable so it was either shadow detail or highlight and only getting a slice of the moon. It all happened rather fast! Not really any detail could be pulled back in raw and it got very blocky and bandy around the light shadow transition. In hindsite choosing an exposuure similar to moons at ends would probably be better.

Live and learn!

Thanks

Duncan
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:21 AM

Probably a good idea to set up to bracket as well
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

Probably a good idea to set up to bracket as well

Yeah, that could work. I had it triggering from the computer and downloading. My initial idea was to make a time lapse movie so I wanted to leave everything the same to show the change i intensity so was kind of geared up to shoot something else! Should be another one in December so will try it a bit differently. The other problem is there is such a huge difference between the bright side and the darkside. Maybe a kind of HDR image? For example moon 8 is iso 400, f 6.3 3.2s and moon 9 is iso 100 f22 1/2 s. Auto bracket on my camera is plus / minus 2 stops! Could always change manually but a small nudge on the tripod and the moon disappeared out of frame. But then I can change the settings from the laptop so that isn't a reason!

Lots of different things to try next time.

Thanks
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#6 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:21 AM

Yeah, that could work. I had it triggering from the computer and downloading. My initial idea was to make a time lapse movie so I wanted to leave everything the same to show the change i intensity so was kind of geared up to shoot something else! Should be another one in December so will try it a bit differently. The other problem is there is such a huge difference between the bright side and the darkside. Maybe a kind of HDR image? For example moon 8 is iso 400, f 6.3 3.2s and moon 9 is iso 100 f22 1/2 s. Auto bracket on my camera is plus / minus 2 stops! Could always change manually but a small nudge on the tripod and the moon disappeared out of frame. But then I can change the settings from the laptop so that isn't a reason!

Lots of different things to try next time.

Thanks

Just had a thought...I could stack one of the moons from the right and mask the highlights out of central moons...why didn't I think of that earlier.......
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#7 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:22 AM

Just had a thought...I could stack one of the moons from the right and mask the highlights out of central moons...why didn't I think of that earlier.......

Ok, so have tried to put a bit of detail back into the blown moons. What do you think?

Lunar_Eclipse_Montage3.jpg

Edited by DuncanS, 18 June 2011 - 01:51 AM.

Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#8 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:44 AM

Ok, so have tried to put a bit of detail back into the blown moons. What do you think?

Lunar_Eclipse_Montage3.jpg

Nice!

#9 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:04 AM

Nice!

Thanks and cheers for your suggestions!
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#10 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1578 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:41 AM

Yea thats the one Duncan. looks pretty cool to me. I showed it to one of my mates who was playing poker with me last night and he said there was a shot like this in the Sun yesterday. Was it yours.?

See you soon.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#11 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:53 AM

Yea thats the one Duncan. looks pretty cool to me. I showed it to one of my mates who was playing poker with me last night and he said there was a shot like this in the Sun yesterday. Was it yours.?

See you soon.

Stew

Cheers Stew,

Re The Sun, not that I am aware of.....nothing on Sun online...
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com