Photo
- - - - -

Transiting through US - camera gear in carry on - any issues?

travel tsa carry on

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tomstgeorge

tomstgeorge

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Cenotes, Caves, Wide-angle

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:29 AM

I would like to take my full setup in my carry-on. Am I going to have any issues going through TSA with camera housing, strobes, strobe arms etc?

Mostly concerned with if there is any risk of the strobe arms being confiscated?

Anyone taken float / regular strobe arms through TSA before?

#2 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Interests:Diving and underwater photography of course with a little rebreathers, cave diving, marine science and natural history thrown in.

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:48 AM

TSA has never given me any grief about what it is that I am carrying iin my carry on (laptop, ipad, camera bodies, lenses, underwater housing and even underwater strobes) other than the occasional question of "what is that?"

As for strobe arms, I usaully pack them inside the arm section of my wetsuit. Been doing it that way 35 years without anything getting damaged.

#3 Vondo

Vondo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:34 AM

I carry on strobe arms. Never a problem. Of course I usually get the extra screening (swabbing for explosives).

#4 Jono

Jono

Brine Shrimp

• Admin
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:40 AM

Good to hear, thanks guys :-)

#5 tomstgeorge

tomstgeorge

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Cenotes, Caves, Wide-angle

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:44 AM

Thanks Walt & Vondo - I'm expecting to get some additional scrutiny with all this weird and wonderful gear  :lol2:

#6 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2392 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:22 PM

I've usually found security folks interested as items might be a bit unusual or things they haven't maybe seen before - rather than concerned. I don't think I've ever had a real problem hoiking all sorts of u/w photo gear around.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#7 echo2600

echo2600

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:57 PM

What airport(s) will you be going through? Ive had the housing swabbed a few times at more inland airports. Flying in and out of LAX has never been an issue with the camera kit as carry on.

#8 eyu

eyu

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:37 AM

Just do not pack your tools in your carry on.  TSA will confiscate your allen wrenches and your screw drivers.

Housing, strobes, battery charges and arms are not an issue as a carry on

Nikon D800E, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS & Carbon Arms

#9 susanayliya18

susanayliya18

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:44 PM

We all have the similar assumed when we pack for a tour: what am I permissible to bring on a plane? Occasionally, you can answer this inside question yourself in a stuff of seconds. After all, air travel is a permeating part of our lives, so you should think of. But every state is different and the TSA guidelines and restrictions are tremendously rigid. You don’t want to have to throw out a luxurious bottle of wine or be the focus of an investigation for trying to take a banned item on board, so it’s main to know precisely what you can bring along with you...

Edited by susanayliya18, 19 May 2019 - 10:46 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: travel, tsa, carry on